Part 32

Pre-Party Excitement

“Blue or green?” Fran holds up two small cases of eye-shadow. Jas and I look at Fran’s outfit. She’s going to wear a pair of black, low-rise jeans, and a turquoise, sequined spaghetti top. She hasn’t decided on the shoes yet. I think she should put on the blue eye-shadow. It’ll complement her outfit.

“Blue,” I say.

“Green,” Jas says at the same time. We look at each other and laugh. Fran smiles slightly and looks at both cases.

“Maybe I’ll go for something different tonight and put on both,” she says. “What do you think?”

Jas and I nod in agreement. Fran sighs with relief and kneels down next to her back. She puts the eye-shadow down and starts searching for something in her bag. She pulls out three stunning pairs of high heels. She looks at them indecisively and places them on the floor.

“Which ones should I wear tonight?” she asks. “White and sparkly? Black and glossy? Or maybe I should wear the silver ones.”

“I think you should wear the black, glossy ones,” I reply thoughtfully. “You don’t want people to end up looking at your bright white or silver shoes instead of your amazing outfit.”

“I agree,” Jas replies, nodding her head. “Besides, the black ones are comfortable. You don’t want to end up limping around the party. I doubt that’ll look attractive.”

Fran giggles and puts the other two pairs of shoes away. She holds up her black stilettos and looks at them for a few seconds.

“Black and glossy it is,” she says as she puts them by her outfit. “Jamie, is it okay if you curl my hair?”

“Sure thing,” I reply. “As long as you curl mine too.”

“Deal,” Fran replies. She jumps up and grins. “Right! Now that I’m sorted, let’s sort Jas out.”

Jas rolls her eyes and sighs in mock frustration.

“Fine,” she replies, resigned. “As long as you guys don’t make me look like a dysfunctional Barbie Doll. I still want to look decent.”

“Jas!” I reply, pinching her slightly. “You make it sound like we’re a pair of brothel-owners!”

“Yeah!” Fran replies. “You know that we’re better than that.”

“I know, I know,” Jas sighs. “Sorry guys. I didn’t mean to make you guys sound like a seedy pair of people. I guess... I’m just nervous.”

Fran and I grin at her. Jas, Jas, Jas. By the time we’re done with you, you’ll be the centre of attention at Hilary’s party.

I pull out a baby blue, strapless, knee-length dress and show Jas. It’s got a silver lining at the hem. I look at Jas’s figure and at the dress. She’s going to look amazing in this dress. Jas’s jaw drops slightly. I look at Fran and smile. When Jas’s jaw drops slightly, it means that she likes what she sees.

“Do you like it?” I ask.

Jas nods quietly, still eyeing the dress. Fran and I squeal excitedly. Tonight is going to be so much fun!

“You can wear my white, sparkly shoes too,” Fran offers. “They’ll look amazing on you.”

Jas nods and smiles slightly.

“You guys are the best,” she says.

“That’s what friends are for, Jas,” I reply. “We’ve got your back.”

“Exactly,” Fran agrees. “Hmm, I’ll do your make-up. Jamie will do your hair. You’re going to be the centre of attention at Hilary’s party!”

Jas grins shyly and stands up.

“I hope Hilary won’t kick me out of her house,” Jas teases. She turns and looks at me. “Jamie, what are you going to wear?”

I smile slightly and head for my cupboard. I open it slightly and stick my hand in slowly. I bought this outfit this morning when I went shopping with Trisha. She spotted it and said that I should wear it tonight. I pull the dress out and show my friends. Jas and Fran’s jaws drop.

“Oh my,” Jas whistles approvingly. “That’s one heck of a dress!”

“Wow, Jamie!” Fran exclaims. “You are going to look hot!”

I giggle excitedly and look at the dress. It’s short, bright red, and covered with sequins. It’s got thin red straps too.

“Tommy’s going to be all over you tonight!” Fran says.

Suddenly, my mood deflates slightly. I look at my friends and find Jas glaring at Fran. I guess my smile must’ve faded. I’d forgotten that Tommy was going to be at the party. I sigh and look at the carpet.

This nonsense has to end. Tonight, I’m going to talk to Tommy and sort this out once and for all. I hope it goes my way, though. I’m not prepared to leave Hilary’s party as a single, heartbroken girl. Then again... is anyone ever ready to have their heart broken?