Part 27

About Time

“I can’t believe it!” Jasmine grins. “Your sister is getting married! That is so cool!”

“And you’re her Maid of Honour!” Fran adds, sipping on her juice carton.

Jas and Fran came over an hour ago. We’ve decided to chill at my house today. We’re embracing this beautiful Saturday morning by lying on the grass in my backyard. Trisha’s gone out with Jerry, the parentals are working, Gabby’s at day-care and I have no idea where Ami is.

“I’m so excited,” I say. “I’m so happy for Trisha. Jerry’s a great guy. They deserve each other.”

“So has Ami swallowed her pride yet?” Fran asks, turning her head to face me.

I shake my head and look up at the clear blue sky.

“We haven’t spoken since yesterday’s ‘confrontation’,” I reply, still looking up at the sky.

“Do you think she’s going to apologize?” Jas asks curiously.

“Doubt it,” I snort. “I love my sister but she has a problem with apologizing. I’m not bad-mouthing her; it’s the truth.”

“Has Trisha said anything about the disagreement?” Fran asks.

“Nope,” I reply. “I haven’t told her that Ami and I are not talking to each other. It’ll cause unnecessary stress.”

“What if this goes on until the wedding?” Jas asks, concerned.

“That’s when I’ll put my foot down and force her to stop acting like a big brat,” I answer.

“Jamie?”

Fran and Jas sit up and look at the patio. I sit up slowly and turn around. Ami is standing there. I guess she’s been working out. She’s probably going to accuse me of stealing her Aerobics video.

“Yes?” I answer, lifting my shades.

“Can I talk to you?” she asks. She looks at Fran and Jas. “Alone.”

Fran raises her eyebrows and crosses her arms. Jasmine shakes her head and looks at the ground. Ami didn’t have to be so rude. I’ll deal with her later. I stand up and walk to the patio. I go inside the house and head for the kitchen. Ami turns around and follows me. I enter the kitchen and sit on the counter.

“You didn’t have to be so rude to my friends,” I say sternly. “It was unnecessary.”

She ignores me and sits on a chair. What is with her this morning?

“What is it?” I ask impatiently. If she’s going to be rude then I’m going to be rude too.

She sighs and stands up. I look at her, waiting for her to say something. She walks over to the counter and sits next to me. She reaches out and takes my hand. What is she doing? She looks at me and sighs sadly.

“I’m sorry, Jamie,” she says.

My eyes widen and I shake my head several times. She’s apologizing? I’m not going to lie; I was not expecting this.

“You’re apologizing?” I ask in disbelief.

“Yes I am,” Ami replies. “You’re right. I do need to get over myself. I’ve been acting like such a spoilt brat lately.”

“Um yeah,” I reply. “You have been acting like a spoilt brat.”

Ami winces and smiles sadly.

“I guess I deserved that,” she says. I shrug.

“Look, Jamie,” she continues. “I really am sorry. I’m going to apologize to Trisha as well. It’s not fair on her too. I should’ve been happy when she told us that we’d be sharing the duty of being her Maid of Honour.”

I nod in agreement. I don’t want to say anything. It won’t add any value to this conversation. Sometimes it’s best to just keep quiet.

“That’s why I’m going to tell her that you should be the Maid of Honour,” Ami continues. “You deserve it.”

My jaw drops and I stare at my sister in utter disbelief. Ami is going to tell Trisha to make me her only Maid of Honour? Woah. Is this my sister?

“Ami, are you being serious?” I stutter. I’m dumbfounded. Ami has never been this selfless before. I think I’m going to cry.

 “You deserve to be Trisha’s Maid of Honour, Jamie,” she says. “You’ve been an amazing sister to her. I haven’t.”

“Thank you so much, Ami,” I say. I’m all choked up and emotional. “This really means a lot to me.”

I give her a hug. She hugs me back and doesn’t let go. I think I can finally say that Ami and I have buried the hatchet for good. We let go of each other. Tears are running down Ami’s face. I put my hand on my cheek. It’s wet! I’m also crying. I laugh and wipe my tears away. Ami chuckles and wipes her tears away too.

“I love you, Jamie,” she smiles. “You’re an awesome sister. Don’t forget that.”

I look at Ami. She hasn’t said that to me in ages. I guess things do change for the better. I grin and squeeze her arm.

“Love you too, Ami,” I reply. “Always.”

Ami returns the smile and jumps off of the counter. I jump off too and wipe my eyes one last time.

“I’ll see you outside,” Ami says, heading for the patio. “I need to go and apologize to your friends.”

She leaves the kitchen and goes out into the garden. I lean on the counter, close my eyes, and smile. Life has definitely taken a turn for the better.