Part 6

Very Good Times

The sand is so soft...and white!” I gasp.

Jay chuckles and shakes his head.

“You sound like a tourist,” he says.

“Hey,” I say defensively. “Cut me some slack, I’m having fun here.”

After shopping in numerous boutiques; eating the best fish and chips I’ve ever tasted; and downing another ice-cream‒Jay and I have finally made it to the beach. Well, we’ve just gone through the gate that leads to the beach.

The smell of the sea rushes into my nose and sends a thrilling sensation through me. I look around; there are so many people here! Families, couples, groups of friends, big groups, small groups and even some people have come alone!

“Wow, there are so many people!” I sigh, mesmerized by the waves.

I turn around and find Jay looking at me. His hand is over his mouth. I can see that he’s trying not to laugh.

“And you?” I ask, putting my hands on my hips.

“I’m sorry, don’t mind me,” he chuckles.

“You’re laughing at me, aren’t you?” I poke his chest.

Jay bursts out laughing and sits on the sand. He manages to regain his composure. He looks up to find me scowling down at him.

“What? What did I do?” he asks, still grinning.

“You laughed at me!” I grumble.

“I’m not laughing in spite of you, Jamie,” he says.

He stands up and puts his arms around my waist. My head is starting to feel very light!

“I would never laugh in spite of you,” he whispers in my ear.

A cold shiver runs down my spine. Jay lets go of me and looks at me. I gulp slightly and look at the sea. I can’t look Jay in the eye right now. Argh! What the hell is going on with me? I shake my head vigorously.

 “Jamie, what are you doing?” Jay asks curiously.

I snap out of my ‘shaking’ phase. I forgot that Jay was still looking at me.

“I...was feeling dizzy,” I reply. “I heard that shaking your head gets rid of dizziness.”

Jay chuckles and shakes his head.

“What am I going to do with you?” he smiles.

“You could help me find a place to sit so that I can go and enjoy the sea!” I reply, shoving him slightly.

“Hmm, that could work,” Jay says. ‘How about over there?”

I look at where Jay is pointing. He’s pointing at a part on the beach that is a few metres away from the crowd.

 “It’s perfect,” I say. “Let’s go before someone takes that spot.”

We jog over to the spot and put our stuff down. I lay my towel out and sit down. I open my bag and pull out my sun-cream lotion. I apply it on the parts of my body that are exposed to the sun. I make sure that I apply extra lotion onto my shoulders (that’s where I get sunburnt very badly).

“You need any help there?” Jay asks.

I look at him. He’s already removed his top. I gulp slightly; Jay’s been working out. And boy has it done him justice!

“No, I’m fine,” I say. “You need any help?”

He nods.

“I can’t reach my back properly, can you put some lotion on it?” he asks.