Part 23

Waiting

I sit on Trisha’s bed and fall back, sighing with relief.

“Thank goodness!” I say.

“I hope Trisha doesn’t start to freak out again,” Ami says as she sits next to me.

“Me too,” I reply. “But I’m sure she won’t. She just needs a little reassurance.”

“Do you think the parentals are going to give Trisha their blessing?” Ami asks.

“Yeah, I do,” I answer. “From what I’ve seen, Jerry seems to be a great guy. Trisha adores him. I’m sure the parentals do too.”

“Yeah, I agree,” Ami says. “I still can’t believe our sister is engaged...again.”

“Me too,” I reply. “But I’m glad she’s happy. I never knew that she was so torn up about her break-up with Gary. She never showed it.”

“Yeah that’s true,” Ami replies. “I’m glad those two broke up, though. I didn’t like Gary. He was a jerk”

“Yeah, he was,” I agree. “He was always making fun of us.”

“Do you remember when he finished half of the Christmas Turkey when we were twelve?” Ami asks, smiling. “Boy, Demi was ticked.”

“Yeah, I remember that!” I grin. “She looked like she wanted to throw him out. He proposed to Trisha that day; we should’ve objected.”

“Yeah, we should’ve! It was a pity that Trisha accepted before anyone could object. I’m glad she found out about his infidelity before it was too late,” Ami says.

“Yeah! I still remember that day,” I say, my mind backtracking to that fateful day.

Trisha had asked us to come and help her look for a wedding dress. Whilst we were walking around the mall, Ami and I saw Gary sitting at a cafe with some brunette bimbo. She was wearing a very short skirt and a low-cut top. Anyway, Gary leaned in and started making out with the bimbo. Ami and I didn’t know what to do. We must’ve stopped walking because Trisha was far away from us by the time she realized that we weren’t walking with her. She came back to us and followed our stares. Her jaw dropped and it looked like she was about to start crying. She didn’t cry, though. She went right up to Gary and his bimbo and ended their make-out session. She literally pulled their heads apart. Gary tried to sweet-talk her but Trisha shut him up with a punch to the mouth. When Trisha was still in high school, she took karate lessons. She got her black belt when she graduated from school. So you can imagine what that punch must’ve felt like for Gary. Anyway, to cut a long story short, Trisha stuffed her engagement ring into Gary’s mouth, slapped the bimbo and walked away. It was quite a scene. Gary was too scared to press charges against Trisha.

I haven’t noticed that I’m laughing very hard. Ami is laughing too. That was one hilarious event that we will never forget. It was heart-breaking too, though. No one likes to see his/her older sister get his/her heartbroken. Even if the older sister admitted it years later. Anyway, the past is the past. The present is here and our sister is getting married. And we’re happy for her.

“I’m hungry,” Ami says. We’ve both managed to calm ourselves down.

“Me too,” I reply, sitting up. “Let’s go order some pizza.”

We spend the rest of the evening doing our homework, eating pizza and talking about school.

“The buzz about you and Tommy is still going, hey,” Ami says whilst chewing her pizza.