Part 9

Sanctuary

“So she didn’t follow you as you walked out?” Jay asks whilst pulling pieces of grass out of the ground.

“Nope, she didn’t say or do anything,” I reply, staring at the grass. “She just sat there and watched me leave.”

I’ve just explained the whole story to Jay. We’re sitting on the grass in the park. Due to the weather, the park’s pretty empty today. I’m not complaining; I don’t feel like putting up with crowds right now.

“That’s so uncool,” Jay says, frowning.

“You’re telling me,” I sigh, hugging my knees. “I don’t know what hurts more. The fact that she’s taken Hilary’s word over mine...or the fact that she just let me walk out of her life. No, no, she actually suggested that we stay out of each other’s lives.”

“Kal will learn her lesson,” Jay replies, looking at me. “She’s always making stupid mistakes.”

“This one being her most costly,” I say. “I’m not taking her back.”

“I don’t blame you,” Jay sighs. “I won’t lie, though; I am going to miss our chill sessions, you know? When it was just the three of us.”

“I’m going to miss those too,” I reply, sniffing. “School’s going to be so different without Kal. But hey, I’ll get over it. I’ve still got you and Jas, Fran, and the other girls.”

“True,” Jay smiles. “I know for a fact that I’m not going to ditch you, Jamie. You mean way too much to me.”

I look at Jay and smile at him gratefully.

“Thanks, Jay,” I say. “You mean a lot to me too.”

He smiles at me and we sit in silence for a few minutes. It feels good to be here with Jay. He’s always able to make me forget about my issues.

“So are you going to be able to face Ami and her nonsense after a day like this?” Jay asks.

I sigh wearily and shake my head.

“I don’t think I can handle anymore conflict today,” I reply. “I don’t have the strength. I don’t know, Jay. I really don’t feel like going back home tonight.”

“Come and sleepover at my house,” Jay suggests, smirking.

My face lights up and I grin at Jay. Why hadn’t I thought about that before? Demi doesn’t mind if I sleepover at Jay’s house. She sees him as family.

“You don’t mind putting up with my sad self tonight?” I ask him carefully.

“I don’t mind at all,” Jay laughs, giving me a hug. “I’ll make sure you turn into your happy self again.”

I smile and look at Jay. He’s looking at me too. Intensely. Oh dear, I’m having one of those butterflies-in-my-tummy moments!

Suddenly, a few raindrops land on us. Just as I’m about to wipe them off of me, the few raindrops become dozens of raindrops. It’s pouring! Jay lets go of me and stands up. I stand up too; we look at each other and start to laugh awkwardly.

“Come on,” Jay smiles, taking my hand. “Let’s go home before we catch pneumonia.”

I nod and we start to run in the rain. Funny enough, my mood’s brightened all thanks to Jay.

I look at my dear friend and smile. No, he’s not a friend. He’s an angel. My guardian angel and I’m not letting him go!

Never!

***

Decided to go Chapter by Chapter instead of posting up several ones at once. Keep ya wanting more :P