Part 13

Homeroom

I reach my class teacher’s, Mr. Lorrey, class. I can already hear the chaos going on inside. Clearly our teacher hasn’t arrived yet. I walk into the class but have to duck immediately. An eraser whizzes above my head and flies into the corridor. I stand up and look around. Stationery is being thrown around everywhere, people are shouting and laughing, and Dorky Amanda is reading a book on Physics. Schoolwork hasn’t started yet and she’s already reading. Who does that?

Clearly she does. No wonder she’s a loner.

Amanda is the most quiet and antisocial girl in our grade. She hides herself behind books and homework. This is why she was labelled ‘Dorky Amanda’. I know I shouldn’t refer to her as that...but I can’t help it.

She’s best friends with our librarian. She is the only person Amanda talks to. If you try to talk to Amanda, she mutters something and carries on reading. Honestly, I think she brought that name upon herself. Anyway.

I walk past her desk without greeting and go to the back of the classroom. There are two desks at the back. I sit down at one desk and place my bag on the other one, reserving it for Jay. Even though I’m still mad at him, I do want him to sit next to me. Jay walks in by himself and looks around the class. He looks a little down. Good!

He spots me and walks towards my desk. He looks at the desk next to mine and smiles when he sees that I’ve saved it for him. I take my bag from the desk and put it down next to me. Jay sits down at the desk and pulls something out of his bag.

He puts it on my table, along with a little note.

I look at my desk. Jay’s put a giant chocolate bar on it. I smile slightly and look at Jay. He looks at me apologetically and grins. I can’t help chuckling.

I open the note and read it.

“I’m sorry for being such a jerk. Will you forgive me?” is what it says.

“I would’ve said it in person,” Jay says. “But you weren’t listening to me.”

I look at him again and grin.

“You’re forgiven,” I say.

Jay punches the air and narrowly misses getting his hand sliced off by a pair of flying scissors. This class really is wild. Jay moves his chair close to mine and we start talking.

Jay’s telling me about the football/soccer trials he has on Friday. He sounds quite excited. I’m sure he’ll make the team. Jay always does. He even has a group of fans that watch him at every match and practice.

As we’re talking, my attention is drawn to the two people entering the class.

Hilary and Kal.

Oy Vey, here we go.

I can tell by the look in Hilary’s eye that she’s about to start with me.

“Gee, Kal, look at the two lovebirds getting all lovey dovey at the back of the classroom!” Hilary says loudly.

“Yeah, Hilary,” Kal says, just as loud. “It’s so inappropriate. I mean, get a room.”

Suddenly the noise dies down and everyone turns and looks at Jay and me. I look at Jay. His jaw is clenched. His fists are too. Oh dear. I have to do something before Jay does.

I stand up and start clapping. Hilary and Kal look at me, confused.

“Bravo,” I say, still clapping my hands. “Bravo.”

“Jamie, what are you doing?” Jay hisses.

I pat him on the shoulder and look Hilary in the eye.