9

"I-It's almost Halloween," Liam announces over their dinner, the two had gone out, Zayn glaring at all the decorations set up in the place, "Isn't that next month?"

"End of this one," Liam corrects cutting into his chicken, Zayn nods watching the younger one bring the fork to his lips, "God Lee," he mutters, "I never understood how submissive's were meant to please and practically only good for sex when they don't realize how fucking hot they are."

Liam furrows his eyebrows at the statement, he finishes his bite with a sallow, "T-thank you?"

Zayn rolls his eyes downing his whiskey in one drink, "That's what I like about skips," he pauses a glint shining in his eye, "About Niall," Liam corrects dabbing the corners of his mouth with his napkin, he felt himself become sick of the meal even thinking about the boy and what the fate of the day held for him.

"Niall," Zayn confirms, "He-He knows he's fucking hot," Liam offers a supportive smile, "If-If I may, y-you shouldn't, as-as a submissive,"

"What a sub can't know they're fuckable?" He retorts motioning for a waiter lifting his glass in a silent request for a refill, Liam shifts at the question he assumes could be rhetorical yet humors his master, "W-we're not supposed to, no. W-we, I," he racks his brain for the right terms bringing his bottom lip between his teeth in thought, "Right there!" Zayn barks snapping his finger toward the boy, "You do shit Liam-"

"I-I apologize Master I-I was only-"

"You do shit that is attractive Liam, but you do it unintentionally all the fucking time. Like for once I'd appreciate it if you'd just walk into the room and announce that you think you're fucking great," Zayn's rant falls onto the table that's stilled, the waiter stood listening with a raised eyebrow at the words, he purses his lips to suppress commenting as he sets Zayn's new drink on the table, he offers Liam a small smile turning his back to retell the story to the other waitstaff.

Liam sighs letting his owner's comments sink in, he releases his bottom lip meeting the fiery hazel eyes in front of him, "Sir," setting his hand on the table he gestures to the submissive marking he has on his index finger that would forever show his status in the world, "T-there are things I do, and-and won't do, because of this. I-I cannot undo my marking, it-it's against my nature to walk into a room and proclaim anything other than my service,"

"And that Liam," Zayn tilts his whiskey in his direction as if in a toast, "Is why I fuck skips,"

"I understand sir,"

"I hate you," The owner mutters setting his now empty glass down, Liam nods wanting to explain how mutual the fucking feeling was, yet remained neutral, as a submissive should, "I understand sir, I-I apologize if I've upset you,"

"How did your parents react to their son getting marked submissive?" Zayn's question stings the boy, Liam hadn't been prepared to speak about something so personal with someone he deemed so vile, he shakes his head with pursed lips, eyes scanning the restaurant for a chance to stall, "I asked you a fucking question,"

"I heard," Liam growls, eyes widening at his own tone, guilt overwhelms his brain as he's thrown into the slipping purgatory of subspace, Zayn's even on edge at the gruff response, he realizes how close to the edge he's pushed Liam and suddenly feels remorse. The submissive hadn't done a thing to him, he just wanted a reaction from him.

When Liam was first signed Zayn would beat him for every misstep, his expectation that when he said jump the submissive had better already be jumping before asking how high.

His patience had worn thin, he and Harry were on the brink of divorce and barely holding it together when Zayn had walked into work that day six months ago seeing a striking tow-headed glacier blue-eyed boy trailing a group of submissives through the office on a field trip.