1.

~ 12 a.m. ~

I sighed to myself, walking down the street from the bus stop. I was on my way home from work. Every night I had to walk down this long ass block, so I could cut through the alley and get back home.

Half the motherfuckas that lived on this block were my brothers opps...which made them my opps. Walking through here wasn't the smartest idea, but I refused to walk all the way around.

As I got closer to walking past the crackhouse full of ex-cons, criminals, drug dealers and whatnot, I became a bit nervous as usual.

Acting like I wasn't living in my brother's damn drug house myself.

"Aye Destiny!" one of the guys on the block shouted over to me. "Come 'round here sweetheart!" he chuckled.

I ignored him, speeding up my pace.

As I walked past the drug house, the screen door opened and somebody walked out of the house. Cautious, I slightly looked over, just to be aware of my surroundings.

I immediately did a double take when I recognized a face I hadn't seen in a while. A year to be exact.

Tayleigh.

She got out? I thought to myself. Last I heard, she was locked up.

She stood about 5'8 and was somewhere in between light skin and dark caramel, about my complexion. There were also tattoos all over her skin. And she wore her locs a few inches past her shoulders.

I took notice in the black compression shirt she was wearing and the slim fitting pants she slightly sagged in, showing off her boxers. She had a couple expensive looking chains and a watch on as well.

I hadn't really heard much about her since we fell out. The both of us grew up in this neighborhood our entire lives and were best friends at one point. But around middle school, she started helping her brother sell drugs and we fell off.

Since then, we've barely spoken.

I put my attention back on the pathway ahead of me as I continued walking.

"Yo, Des." I heard my name being called. Out of instinct I continued walking. "Des!" my name was called again, followed by someone pulling on my arm.

Alarmed, I quickly turned around. There stood Tayleigh. I was honestly a bit nervous. Tayleigh was no where near the same little girl I grew up with. I didn't know what she was capable of.

"I don't want any trouble." I said, looking off to the side. Tayleigh cocked her neck back.

"Nah, I just...I heard about your parents. I wanted to give my condolences. Shits fucked up." Tayleigh spoke.

"Oh...yea, th-thanks." I slowly looked up at her.

Tayleigh was like three inches taller than me now. It felt so awkward looking up to her because growing up, I was always taller than her.

"How's your brother?" Tayleigh asked. "Fine." I answered, saying the least.

Both of our brothers had beef. So I was very cautious about what I let be known about him and I. Especially now that we're...on our own.