22.

~ a few months ago ~

"Yoo Malik!" I knocked on his room door a few times. "Yea yo?" he responded a couple seconds later. "Take your fucking drug money. And stop using my room for storage!" I firmly spoke, holding his bag in my hand.

I heard him mumble to himself, opening the door seconds later. "What?" he then smiled at me.

"Stop putting your shit in my room." I told him, handing him the bag. Malik stared at me for a second, as if he zoned out.

He then leaned against the door frame and started smiling while closing his eyes.

The door suddenly opened more, revealing Pierre. "Bro-" he busted out laughing at Malik. "What's funny?" Malik smiled a little, turning to look at Pierre with low eyes.

"You high as shit dummy. I told you not to pop two in a row." Pierre chuckled, his eyes also looking low.

"What bruh? I'm not even high..." Malik mumbled, fighting the smile wanting to firm on his face. "Damn Des, when you get here?" he then chuckled, looking at me.

"Yea, you're high." I nodded, giving him his bag.

"Off what though?" I then asked, curious. "Uh, it was..." Malik slowly zoned out. He then rest his forehead on Pierre's shoulder.

"Percs." Pierre answered. "Mm...y'all just keep messing with harder drugs. Do y'all and have fun I guess. All I can do is pray. As long as y'all are doing it together." I shrugged, chuckling.

"Yea..." Pierre smiled a little. "Yea..." Malik laughed a little, lifting his head from Pierre's shoulder. The two then started laughing together.

I just assumed the two were high as fuck and that's why they were laughing.

Or maybe they had an inside joke.

I didn't read too much into it because I honestly didn't care. I was tired as hell from work and just wanted to shower and lay down. And so, that's exactly what I went to do.

~ the present ~

I felt a range of emotions, seeing our childhood home go up into flames. There were so many memories shared here. Good ones. Bad ones. It was all bitter sweet.

After the fire was put out, the house was left looking a burnt crisp. Part of the roof had collapsed in and the windows were busted out.

"There's nobody else in there ma'am." the police woman walked up to me.

I immediately felt conflicted by her words.

EJ told me that him and a few others were in the living room chilling and eventually started falling asleep. Malik was in his room, sleeping apparently. Yet, Malik was currently no where to be found.

Luckily, everyone else got out safely.

But now everyone was starting to point the finger, suggesting Malik started the fire. Arson.

Although I didn't want to believe it, it was all sketchy. The fire apparently started in Malik's room. And now no one knows where he is.