Chapter 29: Nevertheless

Wrath

I haven't seen patients four or five for several days now. I never bothered to learn their names, assuming they wouldn't survive long down here, and I was right. Cierien and I are the sole survivors who have endured this ordeal thus far. Prior to their disappearance, they had been discussing specific 'treatments' they were undergoing. It seems these experiments primarily involved attempts to cure them, though I hold doubts about their vanishing being due to the treatment's effectiveness. The doctor hasn't bothered to come down either, leaving us in the care of the guards who sporadically check in, providing us with sustenance, and verifying our confinement.

The doctor's absence has left both Cierien and me deeply unsettled. We've grown accustomed to the regular experiments and procedures. Strangely, I should feel relieved that he's left us alone this long, but the disruption of our routine is more discomforting than any instrument he employs to cut into us.

The sound of heavy footsteps treading down the staircase makes me instinctively curl further against the wall. I exchange a wordless glance with Cierien through the bars, his eyes devoid of any life. I take heavy breaths, mentally preparing myself to volunteer once more. Dr. Adair probably assumes that I'll harbor resentment toward Cierien, even though it was my choice in the first place. Cierien endures far worse, and thanks to his selflessness, I've grown stronger. It only feels right for me to undertake his sessions with the doctor.

The older man strides into the room, exchanging hushed words with the guards before he faces us, showcasing his sinister smile. In his hands, he holds a fairly familiar-looking syringe, although its contents appear distinct from the usual sedatives. "Care to guess what this is?" Dr. Adair slurs, waving the syringe in front of us.

Clearly, someone has been drinking a little too much.

Both of us remain silent, observing the man as he makes a fool of himself, stumbling forward. "Oh, come on," he sighs, rubbing his eyes. "I've had a rough week, humor me a little."

"Where are Four and Five?" Cierien asks, his voice weakened and barely audible.

Dr. Adair chuckles. "Oh, those two? They're the cause of my foul mood. Well, one of the reasons," he confesses, mumbling the last part.

He squats down, bringing us closer to eye level. "This right here," he holds up the syringe, "is the cure for vampirism."

He continues, speaking somberly, "And it's all that we have left."

So, it did work?

My thoughts run rampant, unable to grasp why he would reveal this information. If the cure was effective, then why did he dispose of Four and Five? Is he finally finished with us as well?

He lets the syringe fall, the glass shattering as the remnants of dark liquid spill out and collect on the cold ground. Then, he raises a foot, stomping down with force, utterly obliterating the syringe.

I get it now; he's taunting us with it.

The possibility of Dr. Adair lying about finding a cure gnaws at the back of my mind, but the glimmer of hope is far more overpowering. I yearn for it, more than anything else. I'm sick of this existence; sick of witnessing Cierien suffer due to this relentless affliction.

I lunge toward the bars, my hand stretching out in an attempt to reach the red liquid now staining the ground. My arms extends so far that I fear it'll dislocate, but my determination drives me to collect what I can of the liquid. Just as my fingers make contact, his foot crashes down on top of them. I hear the ominous crack of my fingers before the pain registers. I wince in agony as he looks down at me, saying, "You will never obtain the cure, Wrathton"

His smile sinister lingers, his eyes glossed over from whatever substances he's been consuming all night. He smears the cure's remnants around, eliminating any possibility for me to reach out for it. "And neither will you," he sneers, nodding at Cierien before turning to depart.

My fingers are contorted at an unnatural angle, but I persist, smearing my hand over what's left of the liquid. I pull my hand back and attempt to lick off what I can, though it's ultimately futile, and I'm aware of it. The guards enter once the doctor has made his way out, setting down the small cups that serve as our rations, and then they make their exit as well. I crawl toward my cup, hastily gulping down the droplets of blood. It's insufficient to completely heal my fingers, but it does provide some relief from the pain.

I hear Cierien shuffle, his hand reaching over to my side, holding out his cup. I retrieve it from his grasp and nod, saying, "Thank you," before I toss it back too.

Wake up!

I force my eyes open, jolting myself awake, my heart pounding from the nightmare- the haunting memory that lingers. Turning my head to the side, I'm met with the sight of Avalyn's pretty face. It's difficult to believe that something so beautiful could have come from someone so evil. I never intended to let myself become too attached to her, but my feelings have grown stronger than I anticipated. Nevertheless, I know what must be done- she needs to die.

Everyone connected to those gruesome experiments and the research clinics must meet their end. I don't think I'll ever find true happiness until I get what I want, and that starts with Avalyn. At times, she reminds me of her parents. Her resemblance to her mother's face is uncanny, and occasionally, when she speaks, I hear her mother's voice. I understand it's not Avalyn's fault; it's her parents' actions, but that no longer matters.

Cierien is in denial about it all, having grown far too close to her as well. He'll cope, we both will- we'll have to. The rage inside of me is overwhelming, and being in such close proximity to someone so closely linked to those terrible individuals is draining. It's even more taxing because I've become increasingly fond of her.

I nuzzle closer to her, burying my face in her neck, savoring the fragrance of flowers that surround her. I'll enjoy it while I can. Yet, I'm aware that I must eventually withdraw before I deepen my attachment further. I know I need distance. Nevertheless, a part of me secretly yearns for a world where it could be like this forever, just the three of us.

//

uh oh??

Vote and comment ty ty ty :))