Chapter 33: Nightmares

I sprawl out on the bed, a theatrical groan escaping me as the too-short blanket leaves my feet exposed. When I feel them dangle over the edge, I hastily retract them, curling myself into a tight ball. My arm stretches out beneath the pillow, only to succumb to gravity and flop over the bed's edge as well. In frustration, I sit up abruptly, taking in the bed that seems to have shrunk. I've outgrown this bed- I've outgrown this home.

I heave out a sigh, letting my eyes flutter back shut. I'm on the brink of sleep when I hear my door creak open. Dismissing the soft footsteps that follow, I let sleep take me away. However, before the tranquil darkness can fully embrace me, a sudden pinch jolts through my arm. My eyes snap open, landing on the looming figure standing over me- my father.

"Shh, go back to sleep," he slurs, his voice unsteady, and his gaze distant.

The pungent aroma of alcohol assaults my senses, and my face twists up in disgust. My father is not a frequent presence in my life; he's usually cooped up in his office, only emerging sporadically to exchange hushed words with my mother. Now, I can't help but wonder if this is the reason for his self-imposed isolation.

"Dad? What are you doing?" I whisper, my concern evident.

My eyes lock onto the object in his hand, and my entire body tenses. "Please, don't make me go back to the basement," I plead, fear widening my eyes.

He stows the syringe in his pant pocket and raises his hand, gently running it through my tousled hair. "Never again, Avalyn. Never again. I've failed," he confesses, tears welling in his eyes.

"Failed what?" I question, bewildered by his cryptic and troubled words.

"You," he replies, his voice heavy with regret, leaving me to grapple with the haunting uncertainty of his confession.

"Avalyn, wake up!" Cierien's urgent voice slices through my nightmare, dragging me back to the realm of consciousness.

My eyes flit open, meeting Cierien's concerned gaze as he hovers above me, his hands tightly gripping my shoulders. I push a hand against his chest, silently requesting some space, and sit up, instinctively checking my arms for any telltale marks from a needle. Finding nothing but unblemished skin, I rub at my eyes, realizing that they're wet- I've been crying.

Wrath sits up on my right, while Cierien encircles me on my left, his arms wrapping around me, and his head nestling against my shoulder. Wrath places a comforting hand on my knee, giving it a little squeeze before he speaks up. "Were you having a nightmare?" he asks.

I shrug, grappling with the ambiguous nature of the dream- or was it a nightmare? "I don't know," I admit. "It was my father. I was in my old room, the bed was too big, and he was there. He said he failed."

Wrath's hand tightens briefly on my knee before he withdraws it, placing it in his lap. I watch as his eyes harden, his mind going elsewhere as his gaze drifts away from mine. Cierien's voice redirects my attention. "Failed with what?"

"Failed me, I suppose."

It's a painful truth. My father did fail me. His absence and emotional detachment left an indelible mark on my life. He was a stranger in our own home.

"Was it a memory?" Wrath probes, locking eyes with me once more.

I pause, contemplating. I don't recall my father ever coming into my room late at night to acknowledge the mistakes he made in my life. Though, I don't remember him being around much at all. So, I respond with a shake of my head. "No, it couldn't have been. My father never cared enough to even think about the impact he had on me, let alone admit to it."

"Just try to forget about it," Cierien advises, gently pulling me back down against the sheets.

Wrath covers the three of us with the blanket, and they both snuggle into my side, their hands entwining over my stomach. I observe the tender scene, a small smile forming on my lips as Wrath's thumb tenderly swipes over Cierien's. Cierien's lips brush over my cheek, and I turn to meet his, our lips locking. "I'll try," I murmur against him.

Wrath moves, his hand gently cupping my cheek as he draws me away from Cierien. He places a soft kiss on my lips, trailing it up to my cheekbone. Tender kisses scatter across my face, and I sense Cierien mirroring his movements on the other side. A wide grin breaks across my face as I revel in the warmth of their affection.

"All this love and affection, I think you two are healing my inner child," I confess, a hint of sheepishness coloring my words.

Love was a distant concept in my younger years, an elusive feeling I yearned for as I grew older. And now, this right here, I can't help but think this might be it. Even though things are slightly rocky with Wrath, I know he means well- he cares. Love is unfamiliar territory for him, and the challenge lies in expressing those emotions. His occasional frustration is a testament to his struggle, but I'll be patient with him because I can't fathom a reality without him by my side.

Neither of them utters a word, but they both lean in to kiss my lips simultaneously, their heads colliding in the process. "Dammit, Cier," Wrath curses, knocking his head into Cierien's to force him away.

My giggle is abruptly cut off by Wrath's tongue invading my mouth, and I sigh, surrendering to the dominance of the kiss. His teeth graze against my lip as Cierien's head rams into Wrath's. "Don't push me," Cierien hisses.

Cierien leans down to reclaim my lips, only to have Wrath snatch him by his hair, tilting his head back towards him. Wrath peers down into Cierien's eyes, his expression laden with disdain. Cierien swats him off, rolling his eyes dramatically before settling back into my side.

Wrath grumbles a few choice words before moving back down to me. But before our lips can meet, Cierien swoops in, pressing his lips to Wrath's. Wrath jerks back, his hand swinging back to slap Cierien across the face. Cierien brushes it off like it was nothing, breaking out into laughter. My jaw hangs open, torn between silence and laughter. Wrath's eyes remain fixed on Cierien, his glare dark and lips twitching with anger.

I bite my lip, restraining the laughter that threatens to escape. My fear of Wrath's, well, wrath, far outweighs the desire to join Cierien. "Oh, come on, don't look at me like that, Wrathton. If you keep staring, it might just make me think you want to kiss me again," Cierien snickers, his eyebrows raising suggestively.

"That... was an awful experience. Don't do it again," Wrath declares, turning over to face away from us.

I slap a hand over my mouth, suppressing the laughter as I meet Cierien's gaze. He grabs my hand, pushing it away and we burst into laughter together. Cierien presses his face to mine, our noses colliding as we share the joy of the moment. "I think he liked it," Cierien quips.

"I think so too."