Chapter 55: And Never Look Back

Avalyn,

They escaped.

They're coming after us, and they'll come after you too.

If this letter finds you, head to Dad's office. There are journals hidden in the drawers.

Look! They're there, I promise.

You are Patient A-3.

It might not make sense now, but Dad's writing holds the answers to all your questions.

Find them before they do, then run, and never look back.

You're the cure we were working on, and they know it.

But it didn't work.

We lied.

Instead of a cure, we created much worse.

When you die, you'll become just like them.

Vampire blood permanently runs through your veins, and just as a human with vampire blood in their system will turn after death, you will as well.

Your Dad failed and eventually gave up on trying to create the cure.

He called it quits once you turned thirteen, only drawing blood in false hopes that it'd somehow take on our patients.

It never worked, and when you left, we rid ourselves of trying altogether.

It's why we gave up on you- why we never forced you to come back.

Rid yourself of this note once you've read it. If it ever gets into the wrong hands, your life will be in jeopardy.

We never reported the results of the experiments to the higher-ups, or what became of you after.

Don't let anyone find out unless you want to end up back in that basement.

You wouldn't be as lucky to make it out a second time.

Sincerely, Mom.