Chapter 35: Thief

I worry she's heard us, but once that beautiful smile graces her lips, a wave of relief washes over me. We're in the clear, for now at least. She makes her way over to us and plops down onto the couch. "Thanksgiving is coming up," she announces, and a spark of anticipation lights up her eyes. "We should plan a nice dinner."

"I don't know what that is," Wrath confesses, and I allow myself to snicker at his ignorance.

I found myself imprisoned prior to the establishment of Thanksgiving as a national holiday. Despite being already detained for roughly four decades, my awareness of the world around me remained keen. Wrath, having already endured two centuries of imprisonment by that point, was checked out and not interested in keeping up with the outside world.

Avalyn's eyes widen, but she seems to come to the same realization as I. "What about Christmas? Surely, you're familiar with Christmas," she exclaims, a hint of excitement in her tone.

He shakes his head, a clear disinterest in the conversation. In response, Avalyn gasps and clutches his arm tightly, determined to capture his attention, seemingly oblivious to his bad mood. "On Thanksgiving, you spend time with your family and make really yummy food," she explains animatedly. "But, Christmas is my favorite. The yummy food is still there, but you also buy and exchange gifts."

"Gifts?" he repeats, tilting his head inquisitively.

"Yes! People celebrate different things, but we personally will be celebrating the two. We'll make dinner together, and on Christmas morning we'll wake up early and open presents."

Her smile falters slightly when she registers the absence of amusement in Wrath's expression. Her tone takes on a somber tone as she acknowledges, "You guys don't have to participate if you don't want to." She pauses for a moment, fidgeting nervously with her hands. "But, I've never had anyone to celebrate holidays with. I'm sure you could suspect my parents weren't joyous about spending time with me."

We could suspect. Her parents didn't appear to relish anything beyond crafting a daily experience resembling hell for those in their orbit. While her mother only made sporadic appearances to unleash her fury, her father, unfortunately, was a daily fixture in our lives. Strangely, the realization never struck me that their deficient parenting was a byproduct of the time they spent with us. Or, at least, I had never cared to think too deeply about it. It's disheartening. Despite my disdain for her parents, I can't help but yearn for a reality where they were there for her. She didn't deserve to be discarded.

Wrath hums as we listen to her ramble on. "I ate all the yummy food alone while my Nanny stood by the doorway. She wasn't allowed to eat with me. Sometimes, I'd get new clothes for Christmas, which I was grateful for, but it would have been nice to have my parents be the ones to present it, rather than someone paid to be there," Avalyn explains with a pout. "It was no way to spend such a holiday, so I think it would be nice if we celebrated it together. I know we're not family per se, but we enjoy each other's company...right?"

When neither of us replies fast enough for her, she continues, "I know it's early, but I've already got you guys a couple of things to open on Christmas. You wouldn't have to do much; just be there. And I'll take care of all the cooking, I promise." Her desperation laces every word as she tries to convince us.

"We'll be there, little bird," I assure her, taking the initiative for Wrath, who seems content in ignoring everything she's said. However, I can't be certain if I'm merely offering a reassuring gesture.

Will we be there?

Will she be there?

Or will she be dead by then?