Chapter Thirteen.

Leon

"Yes?" I asked, not believing what I just heard. Even my wolf had gone still. Jennifer gave me a small, wobbly smile through her tears.

"Yes. No one has done for me in my entire life what you've done for me in just a few days." She said but I frowned.

"You aren't saying yes in a way to repay me, are you?" I asked feeling a little skeptical of her reasoning. She shook her head and took a deep breath.

"Leon, before I was... Before I was raped-" I growled loudly and Jennifer shrunk back. I immediately tried to comfort her.

"I'm sorry. Neither me nor my wolf like the thought of you being hurt." I said and she gave me a hesitant smile.

"It's alright... But as I was saying, before I was raped, my life hadn't been the best. My parents were always busy... My mother was a surgeon while my father was a businessman, so it's easy to say I had a privileged life according to most... But I never felt like it. I was always left alone with the nannies my parents had hired while they left for their work. In school... I was bullied for being smart." She said and took a deep breath. My heart broke at what my mate had gone through in her life before I had met her. I cupped her face with one hand and titled it up towards me, giving her a smile that told her how proud I was of her.

"You're really strong to go all through that alone." I said but she shook her head.

"Many kids go through it. I'm just one of those lot." She said, denying herself the credit I was giving her. I let it slide for now.

"What happened after you were..." I trailed off, not being able to say the word.

"I told my parents. They were horrified, but then they started spending more time with me. Making sure I was home and safe and all. But then we fought... When I got to know that I was pregnant with Bella. They both wanted me to abort her. Mom even went as far as saying that she has a friend, a doctor friend, who can do it for me. But I refused."

"Why?" I couldn't help but ask. She gave me a small smile.

"Because whatever happened that night wasn't Bella's fault. It wasn't her fault I got pregnant with her. I think it's the fault of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. And that guys fault. Bella was innocent in all this so who am I to go ahead and murder an innocent?" She asked rhetorically and I smiled, squeezing her hand that was still in mine. She continued. "When my parents realised I wasn't going to give up on Bella, they kicked me out... but for a few days. I was staying in a motel with the money I had when they came and found me, apologising for their behavior. We've been close since then, but it still feels like there's something missing..." She whispered the last word.

"And then you found me." I said with a small smile.

"And then I found you." She said with a smile of her own. "It's only been a week at the most yet you've managed to spin my world on its axis. It's all good, but..."

"It's going a little fast for you?" I asked and she bit her bottom lip, nodding hesitantly. I smiled. "It's alright, Jennifer. I know it's going to take some time for you to adjust to everything. And I'll wait. Even when I'm old and have a grey head." I said and she chuckled.

"But can I ask you for something? It's not much, I promise." I said and she gave me a curious look.

"What?" She asked in a whisper.

"Can I have a hug?" I asked and she froze for a second but laughed. I chuckled with her and moved back slightly, only to stretch my arms for her as an invitation. She chuckled and then moved. I sighed in content when she hugged me, breathing in the scent of jasmine as her head came to rest on the crook of my neck. Her arms came up and wrapped around my back while I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her closer.