Chapter Fifteen.

Leon

What!? I practically shouted through the mind link.

Yes, Alpha. The man is completely human. The tracker said and I felt my heart pound loudly in shock.

Then how is Bella a werewolf? I asked myself.

The blood? My wolf suggested and I felt myself frown.

Knock him out and bring a sample of his blood for the pack doctor to examine. And make sure it's his blood. I commanded.

Yes, Alpha. We'll be back to the pack in a few hours.

I paced the office. My hair was a mess, thanks to my fingers that kept running and pulling on them while trying to understand how on earth did Bella end up as a werewolf if both her parents were humans.

I didn't know how many hours passed with me just pacing my office. My wolf was going crazy with me. Both us were too occupied to notice what was happening around us.

Alpha, we're here.

Meet me in the pack infirmary. I mind linked back and quietly ran out of the office.

"Alpha." Two of the trackers nodded at me in respect. I nodded back.

"The blood?" I asked and one of them held out a vial of blood. I took it and thanked them before going into the infirmary to find the pack doctor.

"Doctor!" I called when I saw him. He was an old man in his late sixties and had been a pack doctor for more than forty years. He gave me a small smile.

"Alpha, how may I help you today?" He asked and I held out the vial to him.

"I need you to examine this blood for werewolf genes." I said and he nodded at me, taking the vial from my hand. "How soon can I get the results?" I asked.

"In a few minutes. You can wait here if you like." He said and I nodded at him before he left.

What if he doesn't have werewolf genes? My wolf asked and I felt myself frown.

I don't know. I replied and heard him hum.

What if... What if Jennifer is actually a werewolf? My wolf asked and I felt my eyes widen at his suggestion.

That can't be possible. You would have felt her wolf no matter how much she would have tried to hide it. I said.

That's true. My wolf said quietly. But if Bella really is a werewolf on her own then we'll have to increase the security around the pack. There will be chaos. Especially with the Elders. He continued and I nodded in agreement.

Yes, I know. But we'll protect her as if she's our own. I said and felt my wolf growl in agreement.

I sat down on one of the beds, waiting for the doctor to come back. My thoughts drifted off to my mate. I wondered what she was doing right now. Since mom got to know that Jennifer knows the truth, mom has been making Jennifer take classes about how to be a Luna, and much to Jennifer's quiet annoyance, she had taken Jennifer shopping many times in the past two days.

She didn't mind the Luna classes. I was happy to see that she was really dedicated to learn how to be a good Luna for the pack, and for me.

Bella was a whole different story. Frank was giving her karate classes three hours a day after her training with him and Casper finished. After that, she'd play with the rest of the kids in the pack. They make such a chaos. More than kids usually do. Running around the house, occasionally bumping into someone and making them drop whatever they were carrying. But I used to have a laugh at it. Whenever I'd try to scold them, Bella would give me the biggest doe eyes with her violet ones, it made my heart melt and I'd instantly forgive them for whatever mayhem they had caused.

Their mothers hated me for it, but besides Jennifer, no one could say a word about it to me. And boy would I get an earful about it. She thought I was spoiling Bella rotten and it's only been two days of the mayhem. But yesterday, I said something which left both Jennifer and I shocked

"But I thought that's what dad's do."

It left us both speechless for a few moments. We had stated at each other with wide eyes, but then Jennifer had blushed brightly.

"Alpha." Doctor's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him expectantly. "There are werewolf genes present in the blood." He said and I felt myself take a deep breath. "But they're very recessive. It's like his great, great grandparents were werewolves, but since them, there only have been humans in the family, making that werewolf gene very recessive." He said and I released the breath I was holding.

"And how can this gene become active?" I asked and he frowned.

"Alpha, such recessive genes are hard, almost impossible to be active in a generation right after them." He said and I frowned, but nodded in defeat.

"Alright. Thank you, doctor." I said and left the infirmary.

"Leon! Leon! Leon!" Bella jumped up and down excitedly as she ran over to me. I was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching a movie in the rare free times I had. I chuckled and sat up straight.

"Yes, Bella?" I asked as she came to stand in front of me.

"Can you read me a story tonight?" She asked and I felt my eyebrow raise in surprise. Though I felt a little honored too.

"A story?" I asked and she nodded.

"Mommy always reads me one before I go to sleep. But aunt Alicia is saying that she'll be keeping mommy with her late." She said and I frowned, but then thought she must be telling Jennifer something important.

"Does your mom know about this?" I asked and she nodded.

"She told me to ask you." She replied and I smiled, mentally thanking my mate for this opportunity.

"Then of course. Lead the way." I said and Bella smiled brightly. She took my big hand in her small one and pulled, and I got up, letting her lead me.

Bella was already dressed in her sleeping attire, so there was thankfully no need for me to help her change into it. As soon as we entered the room, Bella let go of my hand and ran towards the bed, getting up on it. As soon as she settled herself under the quilt, she eagerly pat the seat next to her. I chuckled and obeyed. I sat beside her, stretching my legs in front of me after taking my shoes off. I took a deep breath and the scent of jasmine and lilacs filled my nostrils. It felt like I was home.

I felt myself and wolf sigh in content at the feeling. Bella cuddled closer to me and I couldn't help but smile.

"What story do you want to hear tonight?" I asked and Bella grinned, pulling the quilt up to her chin.

"Mommy was telling me the story about Beauty and the Beast." She said and I chuckled.

"You want me to continue it?" I asked and she nodded eagerly with a 'Please!'. I chuckled. "What part did you fall asleep on?" I asked and she made a thinking face.

"When Bell meets the wolves." She said and I chuckled. I tried to remember the story from being forced to watch the movie with Alicia as kids and then started continuing the story. Bella was looking up at me in interest as if the movie was playing on my face, but pouted whenever I got stuck, trying to remember what happened next in the story.

"I like you, Leon. You're better than my daddy." Bella said sleepily and I smiled softly.

"Thank you, Bella." I whispered and caressed her head lightly.

"I want... you... be daddy..." She trailed off as sleep took over her but I froze, not believing what she just said. I stayed there for about ten minutes and the door opened slowly, only to have Jennifer poke her head in the room with a smile.

"I hope you two had fun." She whispered as she came to sit on Bella's other side. I smiled at her after snapping out of my shock.

"We did. Thank you, Jennifer." I whispered back.

"What did she say to you? You seemed so shocked." Jennifer said, a curious expression taking over her face.

"That... That she wants me to be her dad." I said quietly and Jennifer blushed.

"I'd like that as well. You'll be an amazing father to her."