Chapter 1.

Aaliyah's POV

Aaliyah's POV

*Beep Beep* I groaned as I heard my alarm go off, turning over to hit snooze and check the time, 12:30 AM. Standing up and stretching as I head to my bathroom attached to my room, I turn on the shower and brush my teeth while the water heats up. After I shower, I moisturize my body and change into a comfortable outfit.

As I look around my room filled with labeled boxes I begin to think about my life in this room, in this house.

*Flashback to 3 years ago*

"Aaliyah come here now!" I hear my mom yell from downstairs. 'Shit' I say quietly to myself as I walk downstairs. "Yes, mom?" I say in a quiet voice, as I know I am probably in trouble like always."

"Why did I get a call from your school saying you skipped class AGAIN? We've talked about this so what's your excuse this time?" YOU NEVER LISTEN!" my mom yells. "Mommy I'm sorry I didn't-", I began to say, but I was cut off by her punching me in my chest. "You were with that girl weren't you?" I look down at the floor knowing the truth. "You are sick and I tried to help you but you keep embarrassing this family with this phase. No child of mine is gay and you will never be gay, do you understand me? Look at me when I speak." my mom said. I look her in her eyes, feeling tears stream down my face. I didn't say a word, I just stared. My mind however had a lot to say. Maybe I don't want to be your child, I never asked to be here. I never asked to like who I like, it's not something I can control. "I am sorry Mommy. I don't mean to embarrass you "I say quietly. I knew to say small sentences and be respectful so nothing got out of hand. But of course that doesn't stop her from the several beatings I received that night.

*End of Flashback*

That night was the worst beating I ever received from my mom. l I told myself I wouldn't allow her to hit me anymore so I changed myself for her; I dressed more appropriately and I didn't dare speak to any other person outside of my best friend Asia. I knew I liked girls since I was 15 years old. Around that time I was talking to this girl who was also lesbian. She told me about her coming out to her parents and how they loved her just the same. I was foolish to believe my mother was like them, she was NEVER the coddling type. As I was in deep thought a text on my phone brought me out. It was from Asia saying that her mother and she were on the way to come get me and my stuff. I hurried to gather any last-minute items and brought everything downstairs to the front room. Asia's full name is Myasia, we met when we were in elementary school and have been best friends ever since. To Be honest, I used to have a crush on her in middle school, but I grew out of that once we got to high school and she would tell me all about her weekends at parties with guys. Just a major ick to me, but hey I'm not one to judge (kind of).

"Hey Liyah boo," Asia says as she walks into the house hugging me. Aisa knew all about the issues with my mom. She found out when we were in 10th grade one day I didn't cover the bruises from a beating too well. Since then, Asia has always stuck up for me, especially when my mom would kick me out for periods of time."You know you don't have help, you and Mama Q have done enough for me already." I say as we grab the boxes. Myasia's mom Mama Q, is a realtor, she's been helping me since my mom told me a month ago I had to get out of her house. I found an apartment that is in my price range that is far enough from my mother. "Hi, my baby" I hear from behind Asia. Mama Q walks in hugging me too. That's one thing Myasia and Mama Q have in common, they love hugs.

"This is the last of it," I say carrying the last bag to the car. The plan is to move all my stuff from my mom's house into my apartment later today since I am off work for the week. To say I am excited but scared at the same time is an understatement. I am happy to be leaving all of the bad memories behind but I am scared because I have never lived on my own. But I guess it had to happen eventually, after all, today is my birthday. 

Author's Note: Hey how y'all doing *tiktok sound* (I- LOL) anyways.. I hope y'all liked it :) It's 6 AM and I couldn't sleep but yeah..sorry for any mistakes, see yaaa.