━ xxiii

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ: "Oh you've gotta be shitting me!"💫✦🌺

💫✦🌺

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

"YOU SAID THE ISAIAH MERCHANT FAMILY, RIGHT?"

Sam sent the old man a confirming nod.

Venus and Dean stood beside him, awaiting any new information about the subjects of their haunted painting.

The youngest Winchester informed them hours earlier that the painting had somehow survived their arson attempt and was being kept in the auction house, so they made their way to the closest library in search of any context behind the painting.

"I dug up every scrap of local history I could find," the balding man told them, flipping open a large, dusty book on the table before them, "So, uh, are you kids crime buffs?"

The hunters exchanged a glance. Dean closed the weapons encyclopedia he was skimming and smiled at the man. "Kind of. Why do you ask?"

"Well," the librarian grinned, picking up an old newspaper article and turning it to the trio.

Venus leaned closer to read the headline. "Father slaughters family, kills self."

"Yeah, that sounds about right," Dean confirmed.

"The whole family was killed?" Sam asked.

The older man nodded. "It seems this Isaiah, he slits the kids' throats, then his wife, then himself," he told them, "Now, he was a barber by trade. Used a straight razor."

"Why'd he do it?"

The man then turned the article over to read it himself, "Let's look. 'People who knew him described Isaiah as having a stern and harsh temperament, and controlled his family with an iron fist...wife...two sons, adopted daughter...there were whispers that the wife was going to take the kids and leave,' which of course, in that day and age..."

Venus gestured for him to continue.

"Umm, so instead, old man Isaiah? Well, he gave them all a shave," the librarian said with an excited giggle.