Part8

foxes react chapter: 3 part 1

After a break the screen turned back on.
|
...
|
"Code changes every couple months, but Coach always lets us know when it does. Right now it's 0508. May and August, get it? Coach and Abby's birth months. Told you they were boning. When's your birthday?"
"It was in March," Neil lied.

"Wow even his birthday is a lie" said Nicky "well it is smart to have a false birthdate with every new identity because it would make it even harder to connect all these identities together" pointed Renee out, everyone nodded and went back to watching.
|
...
|
"Oh, we missed it. But we recruited you in April, so that should count as the world's greatest present. What'd your girlfriend get you?"
Neil looked at him. "What?"
"Come on, cute face like yours has to have a girlfriend. Unless you swing my way, of course, in which case please tell me now and save me the trouble of having to figure it out."
Neil stared at him, wondering how Nicky could care about such things when the stadium was right there. They knew the code to get inside, but they were standing around like his answer was the secret password. Neil looked from Nicky to the keypad and back again.

"Idk who's worse he or Kevin" said Alison "we could maybe make a challenge about it to see who would win" after everything was back to being quiet they continued.
|
...
|
"What's it matter?" he asked.
"I'm curious," Nicky said.
"He means nosey," Aaron said.
"I don't swing either way," Neil said. "Let's go in." "Bullshit," Nicky said.
"I don't," Neil said, and impatience put an edge in his voice. It wasn't quite the truth, but it was close enough. "Are we going in or not?"

Andrew raised a eyebrow at that but not enough for anyone else to actually see it "So does that mean he does swing?" asked Nicky but since no one really could answer it was left there "but why would he lie about that?" asked Alison "we don't know but he must have a reason"
|
...
|
Neil's heart skipped a beat. "You lived in Germany?"
He tried to do the math in his head, guessing Nicky's age against how long ago he'd been in high school. Chances were Neil had already moved on to Switzerland by the time Nicky made it to German soil, but it was such a close call Neil couldn't breathe.

"seeing and hearing what he thought on time is really weird because while he looked 'normal' on the outside inside he was freaking out about everything" said Dan "yea I mean why was he so scared about Nicky being in Germany in the same time he was and even if it doesn't mean that they could have somehow out of all odds been on the same place, it's just stupid at this point" said Aaron with a scowl some of the upperclassmen where going to protest about what he said but Waymack stepped in "everyone just stay quiet and continue the quicker we are done the better" and like that they continued.
|
...
|
Imagining life in such simplistic terms was so ridiculous Neil almost laughed. He kept the vicious twist of his mouth off his face through sheer willpower alone. Something still must have shown, because Kevin gave his racquet a hard tug.
"Focus."
Neil tried to picture the world as if Neil Josten was really all there ever had been and would be. It was almost enough to make him despise the persona when he could see it in such easy terms, but he swallowed that distaste and turned his mental gaze toward Exy.

It was to be understood Neil who is convinced that he has no future to not like the fact that the made Neil josten persona could have a future better that his and the Foxes could see that.
|
...
|
Had the game ever been his, or had it been pulling him to this point? Exy was the only bright point of his shattered childhood. He remembered his mother bringing him to little league Exy games, traveling an hour outside of Baltimore to where no one knew his father and the coaches would actually let him play. He remembered her cheering for him as if their every move and word wasn't scrutinized by gun-toting bodyguards. The memories were fragmented and dreamlike, distorted by the bloody reality of his father's work, but he clung to them. They were the only times he'd ever seen his mother smile.

Neil talking about his mother confused most of the because he would be talking about her being good but at the same time what he had said back in Millport was wrong in a way that made them uneasy. What they just heard easily explained why he had a obsession towards exy but at the same time it was horrible being reminded that Neil's father whatever he was and having people with guns labelled as bodyguards around your child to what sounded like monitor him was awful. "I don't even know the man's name but I hate him and I don't know what to think of his mother" said Alison others nodded and Kevin whenever Neil's father was brought up looked like he was going to throw up, Andrew had only narrowed his eyebrows a bit mostly observing and putting the puzzle pieces together .
|
...
|
Andrew leaned toward Kevin and put a hand to his mouth, but he didn't bother to lower his voice. "He has to hide his ouches, Kevin. I broke into Coach's cabinet and read his files. Bruises, you think, or scars? I think scars, too. Can't be bruises if his parents aren't around to beat him, right?"
Neil felt cold all over. "What did you just say?"

Everyone but Kevin and Andrew were surprised and shocked they knew how ruthless he was but that somehow take the cake, that moment Andrew really was targeting him.