Part 43

Foxes react: chapter 14 part1

|
...
|
"When Andrew finds out you've stolen his car," Matt started, but left the rest of the threat unspoken.
"Andrew knows," Neil said. "He left me his key."
Matt stared at him, startled. He opened his mouth, then closed it again. When Neil frowned at him, Matt only shook his head. Neil let it go.

Quick laughter was heard and Matt looked kind of embarrassed, what he really thought at first he didn't mean anything bad.
|
...
|
"Okay, seriously," Matt said. "What do you have against us? Andrew I sort of understand. You, I can't figure out. What have we ever done to you?"
"Besides pay your bail," Nicky supplied helpfully. "Aaron, we're going."
Aaron opened his mouth, closed it again, and fixed Nicky with an annoyed look. "You're explaining this to Andrew when he gets back."
"Oh, hell no," Nicky said, and jerked a thumb at Neil. "I'mma leave that one to him. Thanks for taking one for the team, Neil. You're a real friend." Nicky grinned over at Neil,

The laughter was loud now with everyone remembering the day, Andrew on the other hand just watched his narrowed eyes could have been past as him being pissed but there really was no heat he was just watching.
|
...
|
"I'm trying to eat here," Wymack said.
"Coach doesn't have a sentimental bone in his body," Nicky told Neil. "I don't know what Abby sees in him. He must be really good in—"
"Another word and you're on dish duty," Abby said, and Nicky wisely shut up.

Before some had tried to hide their laughter but now no one really tried to as Wymack looked pissed and Abby embarrassed.
|
...
|
Kevin had watched the exchange where he was sitting against the
entertainment center. When Nicky sighed and subsided, Kevin spoke up in French. "I will watch you. If you want to drink tonight," he added when Neil looked at him. "I won't let you say something you'll regret."

It went quiet as they listened to what Kevin said, it was surprising it might have even been the first time Kevin said something like that them being shocked was an understatement even Andrew's eyebrows had shot up. They turned to look at Kevin shock clear on everyone's faces "oh come on" said Kevin with a huff his hands moving "what's wrong with you people" he continued "are you okay?" said Nicky with concern and Kevin answered with a glare and middle finger.
|
...
|
It wouldn't have been a problem, except somehow a cheerleader ended up between Kevin and Neil. Neil recognized Marissa from the night they played JD Campbell. He didn't remember much else about her, except that she was Katelyn's roommate, but judging by the brilliant smile on her face that was good enough for her.

"Ah I remember that, poor girl" said Nicky wiping a fake tear away as the others that were there nodded, Wymack and Abby were confused and Andrew had a idea of what was going to happen.
|
...
|
Neil regretted talking to her almost immediately, because she hounded him the rest of dinner. Neil had grown up making small talk with a thousand strangers all over the world, but he was long out of practice. He spent all of his time with the Foxes now, and they'd outgrown those shallow conversations months ago. If Marissa would at least talk about Exy Neil could stomach it, but she bounced between every other possible topic in the world. Neil had taken the outside seat on the bench but he still felt trapped. Leaving the restaurant after dinner was such a relief it left Neil a little lightheaded.

Snickering was heard from some seeing how bored Neil was.
|
...
|
They stopped at the crosswalk to say their goodbyes and Katelyn made sure to give Aaron a kiss goodnight. Neil wasn't interested in watching, but when he turned away he found Marissa in his path again.
"I can give you my number," Marissa said.
Neil didn't remember asking for it at any point that night. "What for?"

"How can someone be so dense" said Alison with a smile as she rolled her eyes.
|
...
|
It wasn't the response she was expecting, judging by the way her smile twitched. She was quick to rally, though, and she laid a hand on his arm. "I would like to get to know you better. I think we could have a lot of fun together, just the two of us. You're very interesting, Neil."
She wasn't the first to say that, but Neil wondered if Andrew's opinion of him would change when he was off his medication.

The looks from the people that were past around the room said everything, Wymack shook his head as he sighed saying that it was above his pay grade.
|
...
|
"I don't know," Neil said. "They haven't mentioned it."
"Just don't spend it here, okay?" Matt asked. "If you don't have anywhere to go I'll drag you home with me. Mom's been wanting to meet the monsters, anyway, and her house is big enough to fit all of you. Just let me know."
Neil needed a moment to process that. "Thanks. I'll pass it along."
Matt nodded and went back to work.

They knew that that had been the plan till the last moment where Neil had lied about having other plans, well it was the truth only that he lied about where he was going. It made them all feel bad since they didn't know and so try to stop him but when they found out it was to late. The question was why? Why did he go? Maybe there was more to it then what Neil had said.
|
...
|
Neil turned back to his own assignment, but his thoughts had derailed too far for him to call them back. Instead he drew fox paws down the border of his paper until Kevin came for him.

"I can't that kid is going to kill me" said Alison who was answered by Nicky nodding with agreement both acting like they had a near heart failure.
|
...
|
He slid one contact out of the way for a moment, needing to see the chilly blue of his real eyes, and took strength in that.
He'd told Andrew he would stand with Kevin no matter what. He didn't intend to break that promise. "Neil" might be an easily-spooked runaway, and "Nathaniel" was a hunted young man, but "Abram" was the one shielded from and untouched by his father's bloody business. Neil would pull on every murder he'd seen and every endless, desperate night, and he'd face Riko unflinching. It was the least he could do. It was all he could do.

Breathes were held for a while and then let go as they fed of the information with Andrew's eyebrows coming down to a frown.
|
...
|
He was halfway through dinner before he realized he had yet to speak to Renee.
"Sorry," he said.
Renee sent him a curious look. "Why?"
"I'm not trying to ignore you."
"It's all right if you do," Renee said. "Kevin needs you more than I
do."
Neil nodded gratitude for her understanding.

"Did I hear it right he didn't mean to ignore her" said Aaron with fake emotion and surprise, some laughed since they now had seen how hard Neil had tried to avoid her but Renee herself was smiling since she was just happy that there was nothing to worry about.
|
...
|
"Your lack of survival instincts is supremely distressing," Riko said. "Take that look off your face before I carve it off."
Neil hadn't realized he was smiling too, a cruel look he'd inherited from his father. Neil lowered his cup so Riko could get a better look at it. "I would love to see you try. You think I'm afraid of your knife? I'm the Butcher's son."

Wymack sighed since he knew how it was going to end, he send a deadly glare towards Nicky when he herd him talk about how he was finally going to see Neil hit Riko.
|
...
|
"That's three strikes." Riko dragged a finger across his throat and rolled his head against his gesture. "I am disappointed in you, Kevin. You promised the master you would take care of this. Obviously you have not, and I am very curious as to why."
"He tried," Neil said. "It didn't take."
Riko pressed a thumb to Neil's cheekbone, in the same spot where the three had their numbered tattoos.

"Someone really needs to put him in his place" said Alison rolling her eyes.