Part41

Foxes react: chapter 12

|
...
|
"They arrested Aaron," Neil said.
"I know," Wymack said.
"Why?"
"Someone died on the other end of his racquet."
"It wasn't his," Neil said. "It was mine. The police took it as evidence. Will they give it back or am I going to have to get a new one?" Wymack exhaled smoke into the air between them.

"Did he really?" said Matt as he looked at Wymack with a deadpanned expression, Wymack didn't say anything he just nodded as he let a sigh.
|
...
|
The wind ripped the cloud to shreds as quickly as it formed. Neil watched Wymack watch him, then turned his attention to his cigarette. He turned it over and over between his fingers. There was still dried blood beneath his fingernails. For a moment he thought it was his mother's, clinging stubbornly to his hands after all these years. He gave his cigarette a violent shake,
dislodging those thoughts with the first clump of ash.
"Neil," Wymack said.
Neil knew that tone too well. "I'm fine."
"Give me that bullshit answer one more time and see what happens,"
Wymack said. "I stopped by the station on the way here and got a censored rundown of things. The police have labeled you as a hostile witness, you know. They said you wouldn't talk to them, not even to give them your name. They had to get that from Kevin."
"I'm fine," Neil said again. "I just don't like talking to cops." "Then don't talk to them," Wymack said. "Talk to me." "What do you want me to say?"
"The truth," Wymack said.
"No."
"Why not?"
Neil shook his head. He didn't know how to explain the fear eating a
hollow knot in his chest. Something like this demanded complete honesty, and Neil had been lying since he was old enough to speak. He didn't know how to tell the truth now. If he tried, would it still be the truth, or would he poison the words by saying them aloud? Would it be instinctive to twist it? He wouldn't risk it. Andrew didn't deserve that.

Familiar quietness filled the room as sadness overtook everyone, suddenly Neil's words held more weight than ever before.
|
...
|
"I was off-balance from kicking in the door, so Aaron was faster than I was. He caught Drake right here." He touched his head where his racquet had shattered Drake's skull. "It was a heavy, so it only took one hit. If Andrew gave you the p-card, that means the police are keeping my racquet, aren't they?"

"wow he is still stuck with the racquet and wanting it back" said Alison, there were no smart remarks it was just a remark the whole situation making it unable for anyone to make any smart remarks or jokes.
|
...
|
"Would you want it back?" Betsy asked.
"Do you have any idea how much it cost?" Neil asked. "Yes, I want it back."
"It wouldn't bother you that it was used as a murder weapon?"
"It didn't kill anyone important."
"Interesting," Betsy said, but she didn't elaborate until she'd pulled
into a department store parking lot.

No one said anything, they didn't support Neil for wanting the racquet back but everyone agreed with Neil.
|
...
|
After his childhood home in Baltimore, the Hemmicks' house was the last place in the world Neil wanted to be. Andrew's car was still parked at the curb, and Betsy pulled up behind it. She offered Neil a key, but Neil made no move to take it. His brain connected the pieces but refused to accept the final picture. Andrew wouldn't even let Aaron and Kevin drive his car.
"You do have a license, don't you?" Betsy asked.
Neil had a couple, but none had his current name on it. "Yes."

"And he is aloud to drive the car? Did he even actually do the drivers test" said Aaron with a scoff.
|
...
|
The door was ajar by several inches this morning, but someone had thought to tape a blanket to the doorframe like a makeshift curtain. Neil yanked it down so Luther and Maria would have to fix it again and tossed it off to one side.

There was not really something to add it made everyone sick to see but there was the slightest satisfaction with seeing what Neil did.