chapter 10

As Matthew's words hung heavy in the air, I felt a rush of emotions swirling inside me. His intensity both frightened and exhilarated me. I looked into his eyes, searching for any sign of insincerity, but all I found was raw, unfiltered honesty.

"Matthew, I... I didn't know," I stammered, my voice barely above a whisper. He silenced me with a gentle finger pressed against my lips. "Don't say anything, Addy. Just listen." I nodded, feeling a knot form in my throat as I braced myself for what he was about to reveal. "I know I haven't been the best at expressing my feelings, but it's not because I see you as just a hookup," Matthew began, his voice softening. "You mean more to me than words can convey. From the moment I met you, something shifted inside me. You became my anchor in a sea of chaos." Tears welled up in my eyes, surprised by the depth of his emotions. All this time, I had been so caught up in my insecurities that I failed to see the truth staring me in the face. "I've made mistakes, Addy. I won't deny that" Matthew continued, his grip tightening around me as if afraid I would slip away. "But I want to make things right. I want to be the man you deserve." His vulnerability shattered the walls I had built around my heart, leaving me exposed and raw. For the first time in a long while, I allowed myself to believe that maybe, just maybe, we could overcome the obstacles standing in our way. "I don't need grand gestures or empty promises, Matthew," I said, my voice trembling with emotion. "All I need is for you to be honest with me, to show me that you're willing to fight for us." He nodded, his eyes brimming with sincerity. "I'll do whatever it takes, Addy. I'll move mountains if that's what it takes to earn your trust." With those words, a weight lifted off my shoulders, and I finally allowed myself to fully embrace the love that had been waiting for me all along. In Matthew's arms, I found solace, acceptance, and a love so pure it took my breath away. As we sat there, lost in each other's embrace, I knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, if we faced them together, we could overcome anything. Our journey was far from over, but for the first time in a long while, I had hope—for us, for our future. And as the sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in shades of pink and gold, I realized that sometimes, the most beautiful love stories are the ones filled with twists and turns, highs, and lows, but through it all, love prevails.