Entry 20

Dear Diary,

We have gathered plenty of supplies and found some ruins for shelter. Foraging here was not much different from home. There were plenty of berries and mushrooms, lots of herbs for potions and medicine, and we even found some safe bird eggs! We were lucky to find a spot with a water source nearby. Munin swears he saw fish, but I'm not so sure; it's not the cleanest water, but it's better than nothing. 

We set up a place to sleep and started a small fire to cook. We lost our bedding to the puddle, so we tried to gather leaf piles for some cushion. The ruins look like they were once homes. Their base shape and even the worn-down grass where the home stood are still there, almost like a ghost of the home. 

I can't help but feel a bit uneasy, despite how prepared we are again. The ruins are quiet and there's not a soul in sight, but even in this state, it's clear there was life here. Broken-down beds and dressers inside faint outlines of homes that once stood, and worn paths with no grass where they used to walk. It all makes me wonder what happened to the people who used to live here, and I hope we don't run into any trouble.

Despite the negativity felt about what happened, this forest is beautiful. Despite the strange creatures we encountered before, this forest is full of familiar creatures, just like at home. It's brought us a strange sense of comfort in this strange new place. The forest itself is full of the biggest trees I've ever seen, and it's rich with life. 

As grand as this forest is, I can't help but miss home. I miss my bed, the city's sound, and my Lillith's warmth. I just want to be home with our girls, it feels like a piece of me is missing. But, I know we must stay strong and keep moving forward; we are on a mission and can't afford to lose focus. If we want to rescue them we have to be tough no matter what our emotions are. 

It feels like we are on a good path. I am having a hard time emotionally, but I still believe that we are doing good. Foraging today felt relaxing and normal, even if it was for survival, it definitely felt good. I have no idea how long it will take to find our girls, but I feel more certain now than ever that we can go home.

-Felicette