Entry 22

Dear Diary,

So much has happened since I last wrote, and I cannot afford to forget any detail. The morning after my last entry, we were awakened by a stranger, a cat. This cat was unlike any other I had ever seen, missing an eye, with patches of missing fur, scars, and missing chunks of ears. He was way larger than me, almost the size of a dog, and he pounced on me as I slept, yelling at us to leave the place. As he yelled, he didn't sound angry; it didn't feel like he was guarding his territory. It felt like a warning. 

After lots of yelling and some minor spells, we finally calmed down from the excitement; we found out that the cat's name was Crag. As he apologized for the abrasive entry, he had been imprisoned in this domain and could not leave. Before his capture, Crag used to be the most beautiful cat you could ever imagine, with long, full, white fur and bright blue eyes. He was a familiar who became a source after his wizard died, he used his abilities to heal those in the villages, both in the forest and out. The brave cat traveled far and wide, rescuing and tending to travelers, he had no goal to achieve; to see the world and heal them. 

Crag told us how the ruler of this domain, Elze, is also trapped here, and dangerously envious of travelers who roam freely. If he decides you have committed a crime violating his rules, he curses you to be stuck here for eternity just as he is. Elze, the manticore, decided that Crag was breaking laws. To this day, Crag doesn't know what law he broke, but he believes it was because of the manticore's jealousy of his travels.

This sad story and startling wake-up call were not for nothing, though. Crag agreed to guide us directly to the gate out of here on two conditions: we keep him safe until then, and no matter what happens, we never come back. We packed our things as quickly as possible and traveled until nightfall, doing the same the next day. Crag is a kind creature, but he's also very scared. I hope we can find a way to help him get out of here. I couldn't be more grateful to have him with us. 

-Felicette