"Night" in shining armor

Moon 1st person pov

There was an earthquake today. A small one, but somehow enough to cause a power outage. That's why I am out instead of Sun. Most people left early for that reason. There are still some guests, but very few and none are in the daycare as of now. Save for the boy with colored hair, which he's enamored with Nova. Cassie is also here, but like her father, Evelyne, and Nova she lives here.

Living at the pizzaplex with free food and resources is corporate's way of compensating for lack of healthcare while also keeping track of the few human employees. It's smart and dumb at the same time, but Nova and Cassie make it worth it.

Since no one but Arsen is left to be picked up, from the ceiling, I watch the trio play. I'm not as good as playing with the kids compared to Sun, but I monitor them closely.

"Cass? Novs? You girlies here?" A woman asks. Evelyne looks up at me and waves, "Do you see them, Moon?"

I motion to the ball pit where Cassie and Nova are, "Arsen is here too." The handler and I make our way over to the three.

"I shall slay thee, evil dragon!" Cassie points up at Nova. The small girl stands near the edge of the castle roof.

"Nah, I'm good."

Arsen, sitting behind Nova, squints, "You can't 'I'm good' to a threat, dummy."

Jokingly, I say, "Nova, stay in character!"

"Hehe, fine— Ye shall never slay me! Because I have the princess! If you take me, I will take him!" She points to Arsen.

The boy scowls, "Why am I the princess again?"

"Well, 'Cause I don't wanna be princess, and Cassie called being the knight."

Cassie yells up to him, "At least we didn't force you to wear the skirt!"

"Couldn't I be a prince?"

"Princesses are better!" Nova claims, poking his head.

He groans but doesn't protest. Part of me bets that's because of his crush. Blandly, he calls, "Oh help, I've been captured, save me."

"I shall! Because I have..." Cassie reaches down and pulls out a long foam stick from the ballpit, "A sword!!"

Nova shifts dangerously close to the edge of the castle, I see Evelyne inch forward protectively, "You mortal!" Nova continues, "You're no match for my awesomeness!" She moves close to the boy and wraps her arm around his shoulder.

"Anyways! The princess doesn't like you, knight!" she squeezes Arsen close, "The princess fell in love with ME!"
Nova doesn't notice, but his face flushes bright red. I'm sure that Nova doesn't know for certain what love or crushes are, but it's cute either way.

Cassie snorts, "The princess likes the dragon?"

"Mm-hm! AAAH-" she shrieks as she slips off the castle structure. Evelyne rushes forward, but I swoop in first. I catch her like a prince would hold a princess

"Oh. Hi moon!" she wraps her arms around my shoulders, hugging me tightly, "Now you're my knight in shining armor! Eh, wait... my 'Night' in shining armor! Because you're the Moon man!"

I laugh, so do the kids and Evelyne. My anxiety of her falling being set aside. As much as she likes being at heights, she sure does have a knack for falling off things. Let's just hope that she never falls from too high.