Chapter 5

Sam had been working hard all morning until Jo, the daughter of the owners of this place, had told him to stop and take his lunch... twice.

He had learnt his way around, taken a quick shift in the shop and had been organising papers in the office with the plan to make them digital later when he had been stopped. And although he was mid way through a job here was glad to take a break.

Walking down to the cafeteria Sam smiled to himself, he had never really had a permanent job, except hunting, and yeah they wouldn't be here long, but he was determined to do well. He was enjoying the civilian life that the retreat offered, no guns unless he went to the range, no lying about who he was and best of all... Not crappy motel or diner food. Yup, he was actually going to get freshly cooked food.

As soon as he walked into the cafeteria the smell of fresh pie hit him. Sam wasn't exactly the biggest fan of pie but Dean was and his want for pie had rubbed off onto Sam over the years (though Sam would never openly admit this). He began to make his way over to where they were being served when a hand grabbed his arm.

"Sammy this is hard, I freaking hate it" Sam turned to face his brother who looked pissed off. "What's up? Wait where's Cas?" "I sent him to go get food for us, told him we needed a brother moment together." "Dean what does that even mean?" Dean looked at his little brother with a seriously you don't get why I came over? look before replying with "Because Sam I needed to bitch."

Sighing at the response Sam looked past his brother to where Cas was ordering food. God he wished that was him. He looked back, put his hands in his pockets and said "Go on."

Over at the food Castiel was almost at the front. He was twirling the ring on his finger nervously, completely unsure on what to do.

When he got to the front the lady behind the counter smiled at him before stating "You're new." Cas shuffled awkwardly before replying "Yes, me and my, my husband have been having some issues and this place seemed like an excellent way to sort them out. Your pie smells nice." Laughing, the lady replied, "Thanks sweetie, well my name is Ellen, me and my husband Bobby run this place with our daughter Jo, you ever need something or you have a worry come to one of us,okay? We've got the most life experience and sometimes sitting in a room with your other half isn't gonna help. Now what do you want to eat?" Cas smiled at Ellen, he liked her alot. "Urm, my name is Castiel, Cas, as Dean has nicknamed me, and can I have two steak pies and mash please? Not for just me, my husband is over there and I said I'd bring his over." "Don't worry Cas, I believe you." she replied serving him up two plates smiling at the nervousness that was pouring out of Cas.

He moved on to the puddings and spied what Dean would have: pecon pie, his favourite.

After grabbing a slice of that Cas tackled the matter of what he would have. There was one, cheesecake, chocolate cake and brownies, for Cas, way too much choice.

Not wanting to look to weird, Castiel quickly grabbed some brownies and cream before making his way to sit down.

It was a tricky task because his hands were so full and he had to weave carefully between chairs. Fortunately as he was about to drop the pecon pie a pair of hands came to his rescue.

He turned to see who had grabbed the plate and was greeted by a smiley red-head. "You want some help?" Cas was about to reply no when he realised he really did need it if he wanted to make it to his seat with everything intact. "If you wouldn't mind, Dean, my husband is over their in the plaid blue shirt." The red-headed girl beamed at him before walking forward and saying "Cool me and Anna, my partner, will come sit with of you don't mind?" Knowing he couldn't say no, Cas smiled again and nodded.

Dean turned around to a clatter of plates in the table and the sound of chairs being pulled back. "Dean this is Anna and-" "Charlie." Charlie added in realising she hadn't mentioned her name. "I'm Cas, urm do you mind if they sit with us as Charlie did save your pie?" "You almost dropped pie?! Dude, how could you?" Dean replied, the tone of his voice a mix between completely serious and sarcastic. He turned and smiled at the other couple, "Sure you can sit with us."

Dean turned to Cas to help lay out the food when he realised that Cas was about to defend himself clearly only hearing the seriousness in Dean's voice. He touched his forearm before quietly muttering "Cas, it's fine angel. I'm being sarcastic."

Panic ran through Cas, Dean had called him angel, such a silly slip up, how do they recover what do they do-

"aww that's sweet, I call Anna my angel sometimes-" "Yes it used to be little angel but as I'm taller it made no sense" Charlie looked at Dean before whispering "She was never one for irony" making Dean chuckle.

The two couples chatted their entire way through the main course. All of them really hitting it off and enjoying each other's company and the pie.

Castiel had just taken a bite of a brownie when "Son of a bitch, you got me pecon?" Cas turned and nodded, his mouth full of an incredibly delicious brownie. He watched Dean eat his first bite of it and pure joy spread across his face.

It was odd to Castiel that a slice of pie could wash away Dean's stress lines and make him look so young again. "Holy shit, that was brilliant."

He carefully ate the rest other pie, only stopping for 30 seconds to say goodbye to Charlie and Anna who had an activity booked and needed to go.

When he was done he kissed Cas on the cheek and thanked him before grabbing his hand and telling him that "we need to say thank you and I need to meet the cook."

From the other end of the hall Sam watched the whole pie exchange take place. As soon as he saw the pecon pie he knew Dean's day would get brighter. He smirked to himself before taking another bite; it really was good.

Everyone here was friendly enough but he didn't want to sit at the table with the other staff as he felt he would be intruding.

Sam was watching Dean drag Cas behind him as he went to talk to Ellen who was just serving the last couple.

He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard the clatter of a plate and cutlery on the table. "Hiya buddy, I'm Gabe, well actually Gabriel, but ya know, Gabe. Why you sat on your own moose? Us lot, we don't bite anything other than our food, unless you know, you're into that?"
A short, by Sam's standards, sandy haired man had sat opposite him, grinning. "Hi I'm Sam, don't call me moose please" "Sure thing Sammy-" "Yeah that's off the cards too" Sam grumbled slightly, trying to be polite.

"No problemo,so is it your first-day, don't think I'd forget a hot piece of ass like yourself." Sam blushed at Gabriel's words. He coughed a little "Urr, yeah it's my first day, how long have you been here?" Gabe didn't even miss a beat, "a while, lots of people come and go but some of us always stay, we're like the foundations of this place. You gonna stay or move on?" Sam looked down at his plate "Honestly, I want to stay, just have a normal job, ya know but I'm not sure I can." "Sure you can, look at me, I left my family, I then went awol and landed myself here. It's become my home, it can be yours too."

Sam looked up at Gabriel and smiled "Maybe." They sat and ate their food in silence for a while, Sam watching as Dean made Ellen laugh, his hand still in Castiel's.

When they had both finished they got up together and left. "Where are you going?" Sam asked Gabe, "Where ever you are" was the response he got.

Sam stopped and turned to look at Gabriel, "Look I'm flattered that you are flirting with me, it's very sweet but I just don't see you that way." He tried to smile sympathetically, but he received a smirk. "I know that, but you will. I like you moose and I will take you out on a date."

With that, Gabriel winked, turned and left, leaving a shell shocked Sam in his wake.