chapter 30

The spot was beautiful.

Neither Dean not Cas had known what to expect but it was not this. This was more.

They had had to walk a little into the forest on the edge of camp to find the clearing and had almost not seen it but it was perfect.

A little patch of grass sat between the trees and the trickling stream. The water giving the place the sweetest of backing tracks.

The trees, although tall did not tower and enclose the two but rather they protected their patch from the outside.

The whole place was littered with wildflowers, the most beautiful wildflowers either had ever seen. The blues and yellows and purples amd reds had been scattered throughout the scene in a delicate pattern.

And with the flowers came the bees and the butterflies, dancing through the clearing peacefully.

Neither of the two had ever seen a more beautiful place. It had its own kind of magic, one rarely, rarely seen.

Dean recovered from the awe first, setting down the basket and laying out the blanket for them to sit on before turning back to Cas to now answer the questions Castiel had had.

"I thought we needed a day off but we don't have that, we have a few hours at best but it's something, right?" He said in a warm tone.

At this Cas couldn't help but smile at this. It was so genuine and thoughtful and it made Cas feel so warm towards Dean. It was one of the kindest things anyone had ever done for him. He stepped forward and hugged Dean.

It wasn't a light hug. It was a strong 'I can't put it all in words' hug from both ends. It was comfortable and their heads fit perfectly on each other's shoulders. It was an important hug.

They sat down and eat and chatted lightly about memories and their favourite moments. They were happy.

Dean told Castiel of happy childhood memories. He revealed his favourite books and shows. He listened music he adored, promising Castiel a mixtape of the best.

Castiel spoke of his favourite human moments. The small ones of families and friends being kind. He talked about art and how outstanding it was.

Although the boys knew each other, they were getting to know each other like never before.

Dean had always liked Castiel's perceptive on humans so hearing more about it made him warm with happy.

They were both happy and warm and good. There is nothing more wonderful than hearing your loved one talking about why they love and thigh both would consider denying it both were feeling love.

After a little while both were full from the feast Dean had piled into the basket.

They lay back, closer than friends do, barely talking, the silence between them was comfortable.

The sound of the stream and the light buzz of the bees was the melody that sent them off into their naps.

As they slept the breeze gently brushed their hairs and the sun warmed their faces. Both were peaceful and content.

Castiel had never been wonderful at napping, he drifted in and out. He never once opened his eyes but in the waking moments all he could see was Dean. Confident Dean was asleep Castiel gently, gently moved his hand until it was just tracing dean's fingers. He stayed there. He wanted to hold his hand,  hold him, but he was not have enough for that.

Dean's nap was a light one. The kind of sleep inbetween awake and not but it was comfortable and nice. It was even nicer when the tingling feeling of another's skin traced the edge of his hand and then stayed. He waited for it to move, to hold his but it remained frozen.

Wanting more,  Dean turned his hand up to the sky and clasped Castiel's fingers in his. The squeeze he received caused a small smile to creep into his lips.

The feeling was mutual.

They lay there for a minute more until Dean opened his eyes and turned to look at Cas. Feeling eyes on him Castiel looked up and returned the smile.  They were very close.

Castiel shuffled up slightly, to be at the same height as Dean and he smiled again.

Dean let go of his hand and cas's heart
for a moment sank.

He need not have worried and the hand soon found its self on his face. Gently holding his cheek. The warmth made Castiel smile.

The kiss that followed made him smile more. Feeling a mirroring smile on dean's lips made him want to grin but he was too busy kissing.

They were too busy kissing to hear the footsteps against the earth coming towards them from the edge of the forest.

"DEAN!"
"CAS!"
"STOP WITH THE HIDING, WE HAVE WORK TO DO"

Still low,  still thankful. Enjoy <3