Chapter 36

Dean had been gone 5 hours and Castiel hadn't stopped thinking about him since. He told himself that's why he was horrific at the video games he was being shown but let's be honest, he'd have sucked at them with a clear and focused mind too.

Cas had made Dean promise to text during the day and phone call at night. He hadn't wanted to come across clingy but the closer the hunt had come the less he'd cared. He'd woken up in the middle of the night half considering a baby monitor situation for while Dean was away but decided that was going too far.

After many failed attempts at the racing game they were playing Cas politely excused himself to go to the canteen for lunch. As he was walking towards the building his phone buzzed "made it to the motel, don't worry. Enjoy some pie for me, Angel." Dean never called him angel, it sounded like a pet name in that context. Great, Cas thought, now I'll be over thinking that for the next 100 years. He grabbed himself pie (accidentally grabbing two bowls as that had become habit) and sat down alone. Thinking about Dean.

Across the site Sam made it back from his venture and up to his flat unnoticed by Gabriel who, as Sam had predicted, was sulking in his flat.

It wasn't that Sam wasn't interested, it was that it was his first boy interest,coupled with the fact the boy just so happened to be an archangel. It was confusing and new and Gabe could be so overwhelming that he'd not had time to breathe and his Brain was going 100mph to try and keep up with everything. Going out and clearing his head was needed and helped Sam to relax (as much as he could when Dean was on a hunt) and think things through.

Gabriel seemed fun, but he didn't know him well enough. They'd had an argument, a kiss, and a very friendly date. It was going well but he wanted to get to know the actual person before they got that friendly again.

Close to midnight Sam got a text "still alive, you better be, night, D". Dean checking in signalled time for bed for Sam. He sent a quick message back and headed to bed. A slight smile slid on his face when he remembered he was on a 6hr shift with Gabe tomorrow. He'd definitely get chance to get to know him then.

Cas had had a phone call off of Dean at around 11pm. Dean called to say goodnight and they were heading out soon and to catch up on all the chatting they'd missed out on today. Dean considered mentioning how strange it was to not have a hand to hold. Castiel considered bringing up how much lonelier the bed felt now it was only him. Both of them chickens, kept the conversation light and flowing until Castiel drifted off to sleep mid conversation.

Dean whispered a soft goodnight to the quietly snoring angel down the phone before putting it down, texting his brother and heading out. He wished he could be next to the angel, cuddled in to him, but he was also enjoying the hunt and the chance to stretch his legs.

Castiel's sleep was restless, reaching out for a body that wasn't there. Tossing and turning because the bed felt too big and too empty. In and out of nervous dreams filled with worry. This hunt would be a long one.

Sam didn't get the best of sleeps either. He was excited for his shift tomorrow, although he wouldn't admit as to why. He was thinking about what to wear and how early to get there and what to say. To say Sam had pre-date nerves was an under statement.

Gabriel stayed awake until 3am because he was hooked on a competitive baking show, he then dragged himself to bed, smiling because tomorrow was Sammy shop day and the boy definitely couldn't escape this time.

Dean, obviously, didn't sleep. He was up planning and sneaking about with the others. Living off the coffee and adrenaline, just like old times. What wasn't like old times was the idea of there being a home waiting for him, and a person. An incredible lovely person who held his hand and made bad coffee and always showed him love. But of course he wouldn't admit to that kind of distraction... Too much like a chick flick.