Chapter 45

Dean smiled at the confusion and happiness that spread across the room.

Ellen was the first to hug Dean, followed by Jo and then a handshake from Rufus. Noticing Rufus's other hand, Dean questioned the need for a taser. Rufus chuckled and put the taser in the back of his jeans, "Oh, nothing, I was just going to see if you could feel it" he continued to laugh before seeing Dean's face, "what?! It's not like Bobby would of actually let me!"

Charlie excused herself to go and get her partner and the rest of the group as the Sam, Jo and Gabe started to pull out the food so the hunters could make a start. Ellen headed to her kitchen to evaluate the damage done by the group.

This left Bobby and Dean. Bobby had always been a father figure to Dean, similar to John in some ways, softer in others. Dean looked at Bobby, trying to figure out the older man. Was he going to be mad Dean didn't go straight to him? Annoyed he was one of the last to know? Bobby stepped forward, Dean prepared himself for a telling off. But it never came.

"Don't you ever worry me like that again,boy", the tone was not stern as Dean had expected,but soft. Dean looked down, still feeling unsure but before he could doubt the love in Bobby's voice he was engulfed in a hug from the older man. Dean grabbed the man back, reminding himself that John was the terrible father, never Bobby. Bobby was always, above everything, loving.

After a moment the men pulled away. Bobby put his hand on Dean's shoulder and smiled before walking away (to check Ellen wasn't readying her gun). 

Soon the room was filled with noise. The hunters, angels and ex demon all sat together, celebrating. All grateful of the circumstances they had found themselves in. By rights, with the lives they lead, none of them should ever experience a moment like this, and yet, against all odds here they are. Not one of them could ask for more. 

Ellen and Bobby sat at one end of the table, looking at the family they had adopted, proud of what they had managed to create. Ellen also impressed with the feast Dean had orchestrated. Jo and Gabriel sat next to each other, and like two siblings spent the meal picking on each on each other. Garth, who was chatting to Anna, occasionally piped up reminding them to not be too mean. Rufus was sat further down picking at the food but mostly sipping the whiskey from his hip flask. His face showed nothing more than indifference to the scene playing out in front of him but the small eye roll he had shot towards Bobby earlier was all Bobby needed to know Rufus was as happy as Rufus could be. 

Charlie, Ash and Sam were sat in chatting and laughing. Charlie holding Anna's hand under the table. Sam shooting small smile's towards Gabe every now and then.  Meg, Cam, Cas and Dean were at the far end of the table, chatting. Cam poked fun at Dean's 'overcooked' eggs, Meg sat jokingly flirting with Castiel until a small blush spread across his face. Castiel and Dean were holding hands, under the table, hands resting on Dean's lap. Dean could feel the metal of Cas's ring pressing on his hand, he smiled. The ring on his own finger had felt foreign and heavy when he had first put it on but now he couldn't imagine not having it.

Part way through the meal, Ellen tapped her knife against her mug, the group went silent. She turned to Bobby, "this old man's got something to say." Bobby shot a glare at his wife, no he hadn't. The look he got in return told him he had no choice and so he stood up. 

"Right, well, I'm not one for speeches so i'll keep it short and to the point. You are all good people, my and Ellen, when we chose to make a home, we never dreamt it would be this. But i'm glad. I'm so proud of you all. You have all grown up heros, it's been a pleasure to watch and be a part of. I want each and every one of you to know this is family." He pauses, taking a moment to catch the eyes of Sam and Dean, "Family don't end in blood. No matter how far you all may go, this will always be your home." 

Bobby coughed, suddenly done, feeling awkward. He shrugged at the group, raised his glass, "I'm proud of us." And with that he sat down, finishing the contents of his glass.

As the food began to disappear the group began to shift, some going to sit at the other end of the table to talk to the others, a couple heading to the kitchen to find coffee or alcohol or dessert. 

Sam walked over to where Dean was sat, Castiel's seat empty as he had gone to talk to Bobby about Charlie's discovery, and smiled at his brother. "you good?" Sam asked Dean, "never better" Dean responded.

Sam sat down, rubbed his hand in the back of his neck, "Dean" he started, "this place, we're never going to find anything like this again. I think this might be as close to home as we'll ever see." the statement was phrased like a question. Dean knew what he was getting at. He looked over at his angel, who was smiling as he chatted with his friends.

He turned back to his brother,"we could have home here, a family. Shall we see if they'll have us?" Sam grinned, he allowed himself to imagine the future they could have here.

"course you're staying, you idjits"

Happy New year all
Hope you've all had a lovely holiday period x