Chapter Five

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

******

Chapter Five

The next morning came slower than the one before but at least I could say that I was getting somewhat comfortable in my new bed. I caught up on a couple of hours of sleep, mainly because I had hoped to dream of Damon. It was strange how often his eyes held captive the thoughts of my mind. I could lay in bed for hours just daydreaming of what it would feel like if he held me, looked me deep in my eyes, and tilted my head, planting soft gentle pecks along the side of my neck until he finally bit.

The thought caused shivers to run down my spine and I wondered where he was right now. We had a moment yesterday, in that closet after he pulled me inside and screamed at me. I remembered how he looked at my neck. I wondered why I wanted to see him again or if living in this castle has me going completely crazy.

I decided to cut myself some slack. There was never a cliche where the poor little human girl didn't have a slight crush on the sexy vampire.

Sexy, jaw-dropping, mouthwatering... insanely complicated vampire-

I quickly shook the thoughts off and reminded myself that the main goal was not to shack up with the vampire, it was to get the hell out of here. I thought of Xavier and if he was keeping his promise.

Had he called the witch? Did she agree to help me? Is she coming today?

I decided I needed to get out of bed and search for something to do. I grabbed the sandwich the maid had left for me and made my way through the echoed hallways and down the dark stairs. The castle was even more silent than usual today and I couldn't help but wonder why no one was around. I wondered where they kept the villager man from yesterday and debated finding him.

Where would I be if I was a human captured and waiting to be killed by vampires?

Dungeon.

The more I walked the more I discovered, more closets, more rooms, more of everything, but still no dungeon. I walked through the kitchen where Damon and Isabelle had been and wondered who Isabelle even is. It was clear that she had a certain romance with Seth but there was something with Damon too. Besides the Queen, she was the only other vampire girl I've met.

And been bitten by.

I had been walking for what must have been half an hour before opening up a pair of double doors that led outdoors. Not completely outdoors, just a few meters of grass before large metal gates lined the perimeters making it impossible to escape. I decided to take what I can get and walked on the grass, breathing in the fresh air that felt like the only normal thing left in my life right now.

I squinted my eyes and looked up at the sun. I realized I hadn't actually seen or felt the sunlight on my skin for days now and also realized that everything I had done outside the castle walls had been during the night.

I wondered if it was true that vampires couldn't be out in the sunlight and if that's why the castle was so quiet.

Are they.... sleeping?

I searched the trees in hopes of finding a bird or a squirrel, something to remind me of life before The Underworld but I didn't see a living creature anywhere. I let out a soft sigh and was about to head inside when I felt my shoes touch something that wasn't grass. I looked down at my feet to see a large square piece of metal that almost resembled the doors of an underground tunnel. The word dungeon echoed in my head as I reached down and slid my fingers underneath in an attempt to lift it up. I felt dirt slide up in my nails but continued to pull at the piece of metal. I was almost convinced that it was merely a piece of scrap stationed in the ground until the door lifted up abruptly, sending me flying backward. I stepped forward and opened it all the way, revealing a dark wooden stairway leading down into the ground.