Chapter Twenty

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

Chapter 20

The nights' cold winds whipped past me, tossing my hair around and sending shivers down my skin. I looked around, trying to catch sight of Asia but she was nowhere to be found. I watched the large clock above the church strike three am. It was too dark to see anything, and I didn't know anything expect the fact that Asia said the Council has only one prison in New York and this was it.

It didn't look like a prison, it was merely a church, that looked like most, with a nice yard and a wooden cross that hung up at the top of the building. I waited at the steps and wondered if Asia was going to come back. I breathed in and out and watched as the smoke from the cold disappeared. I looked back up and around. The church was in the middle of nowhere, we had driven through miles of trees before finally parking the car and walking around ten minutes on foot.

I was growing more anxious as more time went by. I would have imagined that if this were the prison, it would have at least a couple of guards or maybe even a fence.

I heard the slight sound of footsteps and watched in anticipation as Asia turned the corner.

"Did you find it?" I whispered.

She shook her head," no, I can't find it."

"How could they have a church with no entrance?" I followed her this time, doing another walk around the building.

"When you don't want anyone to go inside," Asia replied.

We circled the stone building in hopes of finding a door or a window or any way that could lead us to the inside but it was as if there was no way to enter.

Maybe that's why they don't need guards because there isn't anything in there.

"What if they don't use this prison anymore, that's why there's no entrance or guards-"

"Shh," Asia placed her hand up to halt me," listen."

She placed her ear against the pavement and I mirrored her actions. At first, I could hear anything, and then I heard it. It was the sound of a constant buzz or the sound of something being electrocuted.

"What is that?" I asked.

"That's the Volati barrier, it's like an electrical cell that they keep around prisoners to keep them from trying to escape, the Volati, it makes them weak so they can't use their powers anymore."

"Do you think Damon is in there?"

"I don't know," Asia pursed her lips," but someone is."

"We need to get inside," I said, taking my ear off the wall. The sound was becoming irritating and I was beginning to picture something that was too torturous for my liking.

Asia nodded," if I could just find a way in, a window, anything."

She stomped her feet against the floors. I thudded my palms against the walls but we both came out short.

I searched between pricks and stones and pressed on nearly every single one that I could reach. Asia kicked at the floor and the walls as well.

"Maybe we have to climb up, using a ladder or something, what if it's at the roof?"