Chapter Seventeen

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

Chapter 17

I checked the time again.

7:45 pm.

It's been two minutes since I last checked. I didn't know if or how I was going to pull this off, but I knew it was my only chance. I went over the plan once again in my head. I'd wait for the guards to leave at exactly 8 pm, then I'd get to the main gate where they keep the car. I'd take the key out of the car in hopes of not being noticed by the main guard at the second set of gates, and then I'd go over and ask him to unlock the gate for Dimitri. I'd have to find a way to distract the guard from Dimitri and I for just a minute which will give me enough time to give him the car keys and have him call Luna and by the time the guard comes back, it would have been over.

That didn't stop my thoughts from racing in a complete and utter panic.

What if the guards don't leave at 8? What if the car keys aren't inside or what if I can't think of a way to distract the guard?

I tried to shrug off the thoughts and tried to channel the inner me that's gotten lost somewhere throughout this mess. I was tough before this, maybe not take on vampire guards and witches tough but I was definitely stronger than this

I looked at the time again.

7:50 pm.

I took a deep breath in and prayed that u couldn't see anybody in the hallways along the way. I grabbed a random empty basket from my dresser and made sure the cellphone was in my bra again before making my way downstairs.

At the garden, I could see that what Luna had said about the guards leaving was true. Four of them exited through the main gate, making sure to lock it before they disappeared. I looked at the car. I couldn't tell if it was unlocked or not and sent out a mental prayer that the keys were inside.

I left the basket on the steps and peeked over towards the second gate. I couldn't see if the guard was there or not and my guess was that he was on the other side of the gates.

I made my way towards the car, making sure to keep an eye out for my surroundings. I suddenly hoped that Dimitri would arrive a minute or two after eight to give me a minute to get this done.

I got to the car and reached for the driver's door. To my surprise and relief, it was open. I pulled on the lever all the way and reached inside and sure enough, the car keys were hanging from the side of the steering wheel. I grabbed them quickly and shut the door. I looked around to see if anyone had noticed but no one was in sight. I shoved the keys up my sleeves and began to make my way towards the second gate. In the distance, I could tell the door was beginning to open and the guard stepped back into the garden.

When I reached the gate, the guard gestured outside," your fruit delivery is here."

I nodded, pushing back any nervous thoughts or anxiety.

I stepped outside the doors to see that Dimitri was there, hauling his big carriage of fruits. His blue eyes lit up with hope when he caught sight of me," Hi."

I forced a smile," Hi, d-do you have my strawberries."

He nodded, looking confused, and reached into the carriage, pulling out a large plastic bag of bright red strawberries.