Chapter Twenty-Four

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

Chapter 24

Like Damon had said, we didn't have any trouble crossing the border. It was almost as if the guards hadn't even cared that I left which would make a lot more sense now that it's announced that I am half-witch.

When we arrived at the gates of the castle, I felt my stomach began to ache with the feeling of déjà vu. Every time I had departed the castle, I had assumed it would have been my last time seeing it.

The time now was a little after 10 pm which meant that the party had been going on for around two hours now. There were double the amount of guards now stationed at the gates that lead to the entrance. They burst wide open as we neared and Xavier parked the car.

He turned back to look at Damon and I.

"Ready?" He asked.

Damon reached up to tie a mask around his eyes and nodded," let's go."

I caught his sad eyes before he quickly exited the car. I did the same and rushed to get to his side. I grabbed his arm and he paused and turned to look at me.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked. He looked as if the idea of having to kill his brother was hurting him.

He remained silent for a couple of seconds, his eyes digging holes into mines.

"No," he admitted," I'm not."

"Then don't do it," I whispered," don't kill him, he's your brother."

"He almost killed me," Damon replied," besides, there's no other way."

He turned to walk away and I released my grip on him. I watched as he disappeared into the doors with Xavier. Asia stood by my side and interlocked her fingers with mine. She now had on her black mask.

"Ready?" She asked, reaching up to straighten mine

I breathed in and out before nodding," yes."

We followed the two into the hallway. They were flooded with people strolling peacefully from one end to the other.  The women all wore equally beautiful gowns and the men dressed in suits and every single person had on a mask. Not that I would have recognized anybody.

When we reached the doors to the quarter, guards flung them open to reveal the beautifully decorated inside.

There were hundreds of people, either dancing or seated at a table chatting amongst themselves. Music played by a band that stood at the corner of the room, not too loudly, just loud enough to be able to hear the person next to you.

The King and Queen were seated at their thrones as per usual. Seth and Isabelle were nowhere in sight.

The Queen caught sight of us first, or more Damon to be specific. She began to stand up, and when the King noticed, he trailed her gaze to meet his sons who now stood at the middle of the room amongst the crowd.

His eyes stayed interlocked with her parents. It was obvious that they were shocked their son was still alive but I couldn't tell if they were relieved.

I scanned the room, looking for the Council but I couldn't tell who was who.

I caught sight of a tall and slender girl, pitch-black hair that was now pinned up and wondered if it was Isabelle. She wore a maroon gown that almost mirrored the one that the Queen was wearing.