Chapter twenty three

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

Chapter 23

We left Luna's place a little while after. It was decided that it was best to keep her and Dimitri out of this. After all, it wasn't their fight and had nothing to do with the couple. Xavier drove us back to Asia's place, Damon and I sat in the back awkwardly, stealing secret glances at each other every so often while Asia rode passenger. She held Xavier's hand the entire time and I wondered if that was a comfort thing. I looked down at Damon's hand placed beside him on the seat and pondered on the thought of what might happen if I reached over and grabbed it.

Would it provide me with the same comfort that holding Xavier's hand seemed to bring Asia?

It didn't matter because it wasn't like I had the guts to find out. I peaked outside of the window. It had been morning time for a while now, maybe even afternoon. I had almost little to no interest in the scenery outside of the car windows but I forced myself to stare out and observe how people lived their regular, everyday, vampire and witches free lives.

Boring, I thought, ignorant, arrogant...boring.

I wondered what else was out there that I didn't know of or if there was a second Underworld that even The Underworld now didn't know of.

When we got to Xavier and Asia's place, I couldn't help but wonder what the four of us looked like to the everyday wayfarer. The elevator ride was silent and so was the walk down the hallway. Inside the condo, the three looked at me.

"What?" I mumbled.

"You should get some sleep," said Asia," you haven't slept in a while."

I couldn't argue with her if I tried. It was already taking whatever energy I had left to keep standing and so I merely nodded," Okay, can you wake me up before you leave?"

She simply nodded. I looked up at Damon who was staring at him with a slightly worried look on his face. I sent him a reassuring smile and headed towards the guest room. Once I was in bed, I was ready to drift away into a deep slumber when the sound of the door opening interrupted.

"Holly, are you sleeping yet?"

It was Damon.

"Hi," I replied, without sitting up, I simply had no strength to do so," no, I'm still up."

He closed the door behind him and walked closer until he was standing beside my face. I continued to look up at him keeping quiet. He seemed at a loss for words but he didn't need to speak for me to understand what was going on in his brain.

A few minutes of silence passed before he finally said, "I don't know where to start."

I smiled," I know."

"I'm sorry, for everything that's happened to you if I could take it back-"

"I know," I replied, once again.

"You could have ended it all for yourself, Luna would have done the ritual, you didn't need to risk your life for mines, it could have been over-"

"Damon," I said, looking up at him," I know." He remained silent and so did I. My eyes were now closed. I didn't want to talk anymore, I just wanted to feel as if everything was going to be okay for once in the past couple of weeks, I wanted to breathe.