Chapter 1 - School

Cortney's P.O.V

I walked through the main doors of my new school, and noticed I was already catching attention - Getting looks from kids at their lockers and people walking up and down the hallway. I kept the hood of my black Frankenstein hoodie up, keeping to myself, and walked until I found the reception.
Not too far; Through some double doors on the right hand side, a little walk forwards from the main school doors. I looked at the lady sat at the desk and gave her a small smile, so she knew I needed attending to.
"Can I help you?" She asked kindly, as the school bell rang. She was about mid-thirties, with blonde hair and glasses. She seemed kinda nice. White dress shirt, probably a black skirt and heels. Like a regular, plain Jane, receptionist.
"I'm Cortney Sixx. I'm new here." I cringed at my own voice. I hate talking, so socialising was forever out of the question. My parents were fine with me not talking. They could just read my facial expressions. I knew it would be tough for some people though.

We've just moved here, to Iowa, from Yorkshire, England. I was born and raised there, but my dad got a promotion, so goodbye friends, home, school, any chance of a peaceful life, and hello new scary people and opportunities... I think I have cousins here though, if I'm not mistaken?
I'm an only child, and I haven't spoken to my parents in seven years. I've always been that quiet kid, in the back of the class, and that wasn't about to change. I've just always hated the sound of my voice. It kinda freaks me out a little...

The lady behind the desk nodded at me and typed something into her computer. I stood waiting, looking around the little room. There was a door behind her, leading into what I figured was the teachers staff room. I could see some crappy sofas and a couple of tables, through the little window. 
On the walls were posters for school trips, after school clubs, the school band, cheerleading try outs. You don't have this shit in England. In England you fall into cliques, if one person in the group didn't like you, you were out. As Dorothy says 'I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...'
The receptionist smiled, turning back to me, and handed me some papers that she had just printed off.
"Stick to your schedule and I'll have someone show you around." She told me.
I mentally sighed and nodded at her, figuring speaking was just going to be inevitable. The woman picked up her phone and dialled someone. I waited at the desk, maybe for five more minutes, until a girl showed up, walking through the double doors in a rush.

She smiled at me, before looking to the lady at the desk. "Hey, miss Kingston." She smiled.
She had light brown hair and a tattoo on her upper left arm. I was guessing she was a bit of a rebel, as tattoos were not permitted. I was pulled out of my thoughts when she was suddenly waving a hand in my face.
"Hellllllllllllooo." She laughed, nicely. She stood, I'm gonna say, an inch taller than me.
I blinked and smiled, apologetically, waking up from my dolly-daydreaming.
"I'm Brenna. It's Cortney, right?" She asked me.
I simply nodded and took my hood off, releasing my electric blue hair. Mum let me dye it. I couldn't stand my natural colour and electric blue is my favourite colour, so...
"Nice hair!" She beamed. "I'm guessing you don't talk much...." She trailed, sensing I wasn't about to speak.
I shook my head, no. I wasn't about to, if I could help it.
Brenna nodded, understanding, and motioned for me to follow her, leading me back out the double doors.

As soon as the door shut behind us, she started to speak. "So, Miss Kingston is a bitch. Do not piss her off. You have your homeroom with me. Goodie..." She said, taking my schedule. "... Then, your first lesson, you are with my boyfriend - I'll introduce you to him, and break and lunch, you just stick with me. Lessons two, three, four and five, you are with our buddies Clown and Corey. You'll like them. They're great!" Brenna smiled, walking up the stairs with me behind her, taking in my surroundings as I followed my leader.
I simply nodded, hoping I could of found a friend in her. We walked down a corridor, when it suddenly hit me, what she just said... Clown was an interesting name. She said he was great, so I probably had nothing to worry about.
We turned a right and entered the third door on the left. The sign on the door read 'Mr May, Geography'.

"Mr May, this is Cortney Sixx. She doesn't speak." Brenna smiled, as the teacher saw us walk in.
He was tall, with black hair, round glasses, but a pretty friendly vibe. I had a feeling he was a more relaxed teacher. Homeroom wasn't going to be so bad...
"Good morning, Miss Sixx. Please, take a seat, anywhere you like." Mr May smiled, waving a hand in front of him, directing my attention around the class, at the tables and chairs.
Brenna gave me a nudge, so I followed her to the back of the class, where one empty table sat waiting, on the far left side of the class. She sat next to the wall and moved the chair beside her for me to sit, out in the aisle seat. The guy in front of her was fake offended, giving a harsh scoff, looking back at Brenna. She flagged him off with her middle finger, as I took my seat, watching Brenna smirking to herself.

"This is Joey Jordison. He is best friends with my boyfriend Paul." Brenna smiled, placing a hand on Joey's shoulder, reaching over our table.
I smiled at him, as he gave a small wave. "Not talking?" He asked. He had long black hair and black make up around his eyes. I liked the look of him. It was dark.
"She hates it." Brenna smiled, filling him in.
"Fair enough. Schedule." Joey held a hand out for my schedule, shrugging off the not talking. Neither of them were asking and I was thankful for that! Usually I'd be bombarded with questions.
Brenna handed my schedule to him and he read over it. He nodded and gave it back to me.
"Well, I hope you enjoy your first day, Cortney." He smiled.
I smiled back and the bell rang. To my first class we go...