Chapter 7 - Make It Stop

Cortney's P.O.V

It was Friday. I sat with Brenna in homeroom and notice some cheerleaders staring at me. Joey saw them too and flagged them off, ignoring them, but getting dirty looks in reply.
"What is up with them today? Did we miss something?" Joey asked, turning to us.
"No idea..." Brenna shrugged. "...Clown or Chris probably said something, so the cheerleaders got jealous. You have no idea, Cortney. Boys will be boys..."
"It could of been Corey. We all know the cheerleaders are obsessed with him... Those pretty blue eyes, deep soothing voice, and... fucked up hair!" Joey went on, making Corey out to be the hottest guy alive, which I agree with. Although! I actually like his hair. It was long and golden...
Me and Brenna laughed and the bell rang. "I'll catch you at break." Joey smiled, to us, gathering his stuff, before clicking his finger and pointing at the two of us.

We all split ways and I walked down to my Spanish class for a double lesson. Corey was stood at the door waiting for me.
I waved and he gave me a hug. "Why have all the cheerleaders been talking about you?" He asked, walking in the class with me.
I shrugged and sat down. They were talking about me? I hadn't met any of them, or even gone near any of them...
Corey nodded, but wasn't too sure. "Don't pay attention to them." He smiled a little.
I nodded and we got on with the lesson. I had cheerleaders and jocks looking at me, and Corey flipped at them, which got him a detention. We got one look too many and Corey threw his pencil case at a jock, telling him to fuck off and leave us alone.

I sighed and the bell rang. End of class.

"Remember me." Corey frowned dramatically, sat at the table for his detention, as I gathered my books and pens.
I laughed at his joke and walked out the class, flagging him off, sticking my tongue out at him.
"Oi!" He laughed, before the door shut behind me.

. . .

I walked out the girls room, ready to meet my friends outside, and came face to face with Erin and about five other girls and four guys.
"Hey, Cortney. Listen, I know you like Corey, so if you don't want the whole school to know about it, then stay away from him and his friends." Erin smirked, not letting me get passed her.
Was I making it obvious? Crap! What do I do? They're my only friends!
"Hello!?" Erin asked, trying to get me to speak, talking to me as if I was dumb.
I just nodded and tried to walk away, but she grabbed my wrist and her nails dug into me, making me hiss.
"Don't walk away from me! Tell me you are going to stay away!" She demanded.
I nodded and her grip got tighter, forcing me to speak.
"YES!" I groaned at the pain in my wrist, holding my right arm, with my left, trying to pull it back.
She started laughing and let me go. I don't want the school to know about me liking Corey...
I guess I should just avoid them then... This is so fucked up! but I can't risk losing Corey.
I walked outside and saw everyone under the tree. Paul and Clown waved at me, as they noticed me, but I just walked away.

I found a fire exit and just sat on the ground, with my back on the wall. Why was this happening?
I curled up, peeking around the wall, seeing everyone looking over in this direction, talking to each other.
Brenna looked like she was about to come over, when I heard Sid say "Maybe she has a test or something and just wants to revise...?"
"Maybe..." Brenna went and sat back next to Paul.
I tipped my head back, looking up at the sky. I was such a bitch...

. . .

All day I avoided my friends. Last lesson was the worst.
We were all in music together. Chris did come over and ask if I was alright. I simply nodded and ignored him. He said he'd see me later... He probably wouldn't.
The bell rang, so I left the class, as soon as I gathered my books, and walked home. I knew Corey was gonna come after me, so I walked as fast as I could.
"Cortney! . . . Cortney, wait up!" He called, running after me.
I could see my house. I'm almost there!
I ran down up the street and up my drive, slamming the door on him, as he just caught up to me. He started knocking on the door and my dad came over. I started to cry and that moment he knew I liked Corey.

"Cortney, please talk to me! What's wrong!? You can tell me!" Corey shouted through the door.
"If I hang round with him or our friends the school will find out." I told my dad, before running to my room, holding my throat, shaking like a leaf.
Dad spent all day painting my bedroom walls purple, so it was a surprise for me when I got in, but right now I didn't care...
I closed my bedroom door, dropped my bag and peeked out my curtains. I never opened my curtains, as it seemed like too much effort. I was thankful for feeling that way right now.
I saw Corey on the drive, talking to my dad, who I heard open the front door.
Whatever dad said, Corey nodded, sadly, before turning around. I saw Sid run across the street, meeting Corey, before they crossed over to Corey's house.
Corey was talking to him and Sid looked back at my house.
Whatever my dad said... Thanks.

They walked into Corey's house and the front door closed.
"He's gone, Cortney, but you can't avoid him forever..." My dad called up the stairs.
I nodded, knowing he couldn't see me. I knew that. I'd have to figure something out for tomorrow.
I can't avoid, what? Ten people? They're all very different. Some would leave me be, and others, like Brenna, Corey, Clown... They would want answers. Asking to switch classes would be a bit much, but maybe switching seats...?
There's also a library in the school, that Corey and Paul have been banned from, so maybe I could hide in there sometimes?
I'm not going to spend every break and lunch in the girls room. I'm not lowering myself to that... But I am lowering myself to running from the only people who have been nice to me...