Chapter 6 - Wait and Bleed

Cortney's P.O.V

School was good. Had all my lessons with Chris today, so me and him became friends pretty quickly. Brenna and Paul were in lesson five, so we all walked to the main doors together, at the end of the day.
Chris was telling me about Slipknot and that when they go to gigs they wear creepy cool masks, so people don't see them. They want it to be all about the music, which I agree on! Too many people in the music business are judged for their looks.

Corey was waiting for us, at the main doors, so we walked home together before practice, just to leave our bags and check in with our parents. He had been ignoring Joey all day and I wanted to know why, but that meant I had to speak...

"Good day?" Corey asked.
I nodded and opened my mouth, before closing it again.
Corey looked at me, as we walked and he knew something was up.
"W-What's up with you and Joey?" I whispered, loud enough for him to hear me. I hated my voice so much!
"That? Oh... Nothing, we'll be good by tomorrow." Corey shrugged and continued to walk.
I grabbed his arm and gave him my 'Tell me' face.
He sighed. "He likes this girl and I like her too. It's stupid, since we're brothers and all, but..." Corey trailed.
He liked someone.... Why was I sad about this!?
I nodded and sighed. "You not goin' to give me a face that makes you ask who the girl is?" Corey asked.
I shook my head, no. I didn't want to know.
Corey nodded, slowly, and we walked to his house. Mum knew I was going to his, so she wasn't going wait up with the painting.

We left our bags by his front door and we heard talking, coming from the back of the house. I'm guessing the kitchen?
"Mom! I'm home. I have a friend with me. We're going to practice at Joey's in a bit!" He called out, looking down the short hallway.
No one replied for a moment, making Corey snicker.
I looked at him confused. We just heard voices...
"Sorry, Corey! Hiya!" A woman appeared at the kitchen door.
"What are you doing?" Corey asked.
"Never mind that. Who's this?" The woman asked, walking up to us.
"This is Cortney. She doesn't like talking, so we've hired her as our silent assassin." Corey spoke seriously, making me and the woman laugh. "Cortney, this is my mom, and we're going upstairs, until practice. I lost my notebook."
I waved to Corey's mum, with a smile. She smiled back at me, seeming very lovely, before Corey grabbed my arm and lead me upstairs.
His house was quite similar to mine, which was handy. I'm not about to get lost.

He lead me to his room, just going straight in, but I stood at the door, amazed.
"I know it's messy... Come on in." Corey smiled, peeking round his door, as he disappeared behind it.
I stepped in and Corey shut the door behind me. Clothes were scattered everywhere, posters all over the walls, vinyl records laying around, with pages of notebooks, a few doodles, some magazines. It was a tip. I'm surprised Corey knew where everything was.
"Ah ha!" He smiled, somewhere under his bed.
I stayed still, not wanting to step on something and break it, or accidentally kick something to where Corey wouldn't be able to find it.
He sat up and dropped a notebook on his bed, standing himself up.
"My songs. Take it!" He held the book out to me.
I smiled and took it, having a look at the page it was opened to. A song called 'Wait and Bleed'.
We hung around for a few minutes, Corey gathered some clothes and piled them in the corner of his room, as he explained his song and told me I'd hear it later on. When 5 o'clock rolled around, we headed out, making our way to Joey's.

. . .

We soon got to Joey's and everyone, but Clown and Sid, were there. I hugged Brenna and high-fived Paul.
"Hope you enjoy it." He smiled, as Clown turned up.
I smiled, nodding at him, before I waved to Clown.
Joey and Corey kept distance from each other, but as soon as Sid turned up, they seemed to be good.
Brenna sat on the sofa, in the garage, so I joined her. The walls had posters on them and magazine snippets of some great bands, even a few bands I hadn't heard of before. Maybe I should check them out?
There was a drumkit at the back, with some guitar stands and mic stands around the room. Behind the drumkit, hung up on the wall, was a white mask, with some black on it, around the eyes and around the mouth. It was interesting and left me asking if it was Joey's mask, as this was his house.

The neighbours didn't seem to mind that the guys were about to make a racket. A couple walked by, walking their dog, and smiled at Joey, saying a quick 'hello' to us all. They lived in the house next door, according to Joey, when Paul asked about them still living there.

The guys all set up and Corey winked at me, adjusting his mic stand to his preferred height. "So, this one is called 'Wait and Bleed'." He smiled, speaking into his mic, testing it out. The guys seemed to know what they were going to practice and talk over.
"YES!" Brenna cheered, sitting with her legs crossed, raising her arms up in the air.
I laughed and clapped with her. She was seriously my best friend here! We just clicked!
Corey started singing and HOLY SMOKES I LOVED IT!!
The guitar, the drums, Sid's DJ thingy... It was incredible. These guys had some literal potential. Corey's voice was amazing. So smooth, but also a bit groggy, as he built up to the light growling.
Sure, they weren't what I'd usually listen to, but I could seriously get into this stuff! The world was not ready for this, but it was coming in full force.
Brenna was nodding her head, jamming out, even singing along with Corey.
I smiled, knowing I had found a place I belonged.