DIY Halloween minimal sign

In case you were wondering who is now writing it's me Alena. Today will be the right thing for  people who had been celebrating the event yesterday That's incredible. But for people in Europe like Czech republic it's on Saturday. Today we will make halloween crafts. Something that has a nordic geometric touch and feel. Something that'll fit perfecrly in bedrooms like or living rooms as this one. Something not too spooky or horrific but pretty more cute and stylish. It's a simple diy halloween minimal sign made with simple thread! You'll need:

wood planknailshammerwhite spray paintpencilblack thread of any thickness

Step 1
First start by making little dots with a pencil to highlight the letters you will choose. You can went freehand but if you don't feel enough sure you can go as follows: open a text edit program, type your chosen word all in capital letters of about 300pt in Arial bold font and print it. Then cut it out, lay on your sign and trace a few dots on the wood with the pencil to have a reference.

¨

Step 2
Grab hammer and nails and follow the dots you just made. With the first two fingers hold the nail in place and hammer on it very softly, just leaving the hammer go down with its own weight. Repeat like 10 times till the nail went down till the edge of your fingers. Now take your fingertips away and hammer down 3-4 times with more strength. The tough thing is trying to keep the hammer hitting the nail perfectly vertical. Of course, I wasn't at all able and you can might see your nails all wiggly.
Also, for some strange reason my fingertips went all black because of the nails and my fingerprints were everywhere!

Step 3
Spray per paint with white, remember to spray a bit horizontally to color the nails' sides. Let dry and give a second hand.

Step 4
The cool part. Knot the thread on any nail and start making the letter: go here and there, trying not to repeat paths already made and making more polygonal shapes that you can. If the thread is thin like mine, repeat the outer path a couple of times so it gets a little bolder and the letters more visible.

Step 5
Make a knot. This is tricky because you have to keep the three tight whilst making it! The only advice I can give you is that with one hand you keep it tight and with the other you make a knot around the nail's head from the loose part of the thread.

How cool and simple is this? Might leave it even after Halloween! Any suggestions on a word to write that could stay hung all year round? Let us know in the comments below!

The next DIY will be doing Peter.

Please vote we need 20 votes!