DIY Phillip Lim inspired plaid sweatshirt

3.1 Phillip Lim Plaid Cropped Sweatshirt, no need to describe. trompe l'oeil plaid sweatshirt... 

You'll need:

* an oversized plain sweatshirt (if you don't have an old one in your closet, Hanes  are cheap!)

* small piece of knit fabric (optional - not needed if the sweatshirt is too long, in this case the extra length of the sweatshirt can be cut off)

* a Seam Ripper

* ruler and a white water soluble marker (Dritz Mark B Gone Combo Pack)

* scissors, thread of the color of your sweatshirt

* sewing machine

* Twin Needles Size 80 - 3.0mm (for the topstitching)

1) Separate the front of the sweatshirt from the back using the seam ripper.

Using the rulers and a water soluble marker, trace the pattern of the plaid into six squares..

2) Write a number into the squares, and take a picture, so in case of a disaster, 

you know how to re-compose your pattern.

3) Looking at the picture, some parts of the pattern are sewn on the reverse, to give the plaid an even more textured look.

Because the sweatshirt is really big and bulky, using a piece of paper to trace the part of the armhole, and matching the shape of the other side of the sweatshirt (since the two sides are cut in a completely different way), then flip the fabric inside out, and cut along the pattern.

4) Cut the two strips of navy blue heavy knit fabric (1-1/2" wide)

´patiently, start to sew the pieces together, using a zig zag stitch with seams on the right side

5)sew: 1 to 3 - 2 to the big part inside out,  4 to 11, then 4-11 to the 2 and big and so on until you have 4 different quadrants, then use the two strips previously cut and bast the quadrants on the strips positioned as a cross.

Sew the sides of the quadrants on the strips leaving 1/4" from the side, with a small zig-zag stitch.

6) re-size (if necessary) the back of the sweatshirt accordingly to the new shape of the front, and  re-size the sleeves 

place back the collar and use the twin needle for the topstitching -
do the twin needle ,topstitching also on the shoulders and on the waistband