Chapter 1 (Rewritten)

Chapter 1

Return

*Three Years Later*

*Arabella*

I reluctantly chase my little brother John around the house as I try to dress him for bed. Given that this is the third night in a row that I've been tasked with the job of getting John ready for bed, I think it's time for a reward of some kind. Preferably a car to escape the little devil.

"John!" I yell down the hall as he spreads his arms out on either side of him, acting as if he's an airplane. "I'm begging you, please put your pajamas on."

"I'm not tired." He replies.

"I don't care if you're tired or not. Just put on your pajamas and let's call it a night."

"No!"

I groan in frustration and drop John's pajamas in the middle of the hallway, finally surrendering. I jog down the stairs and walk into the living room where my parents sit and watch TV.

"I give up. I admit defeat." I say. "John is being an even bigger pain than usual." Their eyes never break from the television as they ignore me. I look at the television to see they're watching the news. The headline reads: Teen Murderer Returns After 3 Year Sentence.

The cameraman records a silver car pulling up in front of the house. A woman with Dark brown hair and green eyes climbs out of the driver's side. She frowns as she fights through the cameras and newscasters. She opens the door to the passenger's side and a broad shouldered figure gets out of the car. The hood of his burgundy jacket helps cover his face as he keeps his head low. The cameraman only gets a shot of Derek's back as he retreats up the steps to his house.

"Derek Knight will be returning to school here in Kingsbury, after his shocking three-year sentence for the murder of Thomas Harding."

My mother turns off the TV as John runs into the room, still only wearing his Spiderman underwear.

"This is ridiculous." My mom says as she takes John's hand. "I can't believe they're allowing him back into Kingsbury High." She shakes her head in disbelief as she leads John away. "Come on Johnathan, let's get you ready for bed."

"Three years!" My dad exclaims. "He should have been sent to real prison for life, if you ask me. I mean, what fourteen-year-old murders an innocent man? He's a psychopath who shouldn't be let out onto the streets."

Tomorrow Derek Knight will return to Kingsbury High School as if he's an ordinary teenager. He'll walk the same halls as us and sit in our classrooms. Are we expected to forget what he's done? Are we expected to try socializing with him and accept him back into our community? He's an outcast now because of the crime he committed. Why didn't he and his family move away?

I wake to my alarm the next morning. I hit the off button as I force myself out of bed. After my quick shower, I dress in faded blue skinny jeans with a slightly over sized white t shirt. I slip on my black converse before returning to my bathroom. I apply a coat of mascara over my lashes and put my hair into a ponytail. I rush downstairs and smile as the smell of pancakes fills my nose.

"Morning." I greet my family as I enter the kitchen. My brother sits at kitchen table eating his breakfast with my parents. I walk over to the kitchen counter where the food sits and begin to make myself a plate.

"Arabella, sweetheart, your father and I were thinking you should stay home today." My mom says.

I furrow my brows in confusion. In the past when I'd try to get out of school, my parents would quickly shut that idea down. Now they're offering the idea?