Chapter 12 (Rewritten)

Chapter 12

Sorry

*Arabella*

I panic as I hang up without giving a reply. They were right. Everyone was right. My mom, Jess, even Brad all noticed Derek's feelings before I did. Were they that obvious this entire time? How could I take his flirty comments seriously when he would always claim they were jokes to get a reaction out of me.

Is it possible this was another one? Was it his goal to get me flustered this entire time? PThat has to be it right? He's probably laughing hysterically right now, knowing his joke landed well. I can't take anything he says seriously, he's proven that multiple times. I know this and yet I still let his words get to me. When will it ever end?

"Coke or Sprite?" Brad asks, startling me. He takes the spot beside me.

"Sprite please." I reply, turning my phone off and shoving it back in my purse.

He hands the can of soda and a bag of popcorn to me. "You okay?" He asks, his brows furrowing slightly. "Did something happen while I was gone?"

"I'm fine. Why?"

"I don't know." He shrugs. "You were happy and in a good mood earlier, but now you seem a little off."

"I'm fine. I promise."

"Okay. If you're not feeling well and want to go home, just let me know." I nod in agreement. "So I found out the movie playing tonight is Casablanca." He thankfully changes the subject and I try to push Derek's words to the back of my head. "I've never seen the movie, but I've always wanted to."

"You'll love it!" I smile. "Casablanca is one of my favorites. I haven't seen it in a while though, so this will be fun."

Though Casablanca is one of my favorite movies, I find myself unable to focus on it as I keep replaying Derek's words in my head, trying to figure out whether he was really joking or not. I barely notice when Brad scoots closer and casually drapes his arm across my shoulder. Despite feeling a little uncomfortable, his warmth helps with the chill in the air.

I shouldn't be thinking about Derek right now. I should be focused on this time with Brad and watching one of my favorite movies. Instead, I can't help but wonder what the chances are he wasn't joking. What if he really does like me? Is that why he's been treating Brad this way? He's jealous?

The thought makes me smile. Derek, the guy who makes it seem like he doesn't care about anything or anyone, is jealous. That would definitely explain his helicopter behavior last night. I wonder why he didn't say anything earlier. Was he afraid? Imagining Derek afraid to speak his mind is impossible. I've always thought he was this confidant person who does what he wants when he wants and isn't afraid of anything. Has that been a façade?

Was my mom right and Derek is just like any guy his age despite how he acts? I guess I haven't figured out Derek as much as I thought. Apparently I don't know him at all. If I agree to go on a date with him, would I be able to see what he's really like? Would I be disappointed or pleasantly surprised?

When the movie is over, we sit and wait for the park to mostly clear. Brad's arm remains on my shoulders, and I pretend to stretch to shrug them off without offending him.

"The movie was better than I expected." He says. "Definitely one of my favorites now."

"I knew you'd like it. Casablanca just has that effect on people." I smile.

"I hear they play old movies here every weekend. Maybe we can come back sometime?"

I open my mouth to answer, but my breath gets caught in my throat. He's asking me out again, just like Derek said he would. I don't know why I didn't expect him to want to go out with me again. After how well this night is turning out, why wouldn't he? But now I have Derek's offer to consider.