Chapter 10 (Rewritten)

Chapter 10

Jealousy

*Arabella*

I try to ignore Derek and keep my focus on Brad. Brad is the one I'm supposed to be hanging out with. If Derek is going to have an attitude about me hanging out with a friend, I'm not sure if he's really my friend at all. At least around Brad I wouldn't have to tiptoe around, worried he's going to be set off by the smallest thing.

"Did you enjoy the game?" Brad asks. "Jess mentioned it's the first game you've ever been to, like ever."

"Yeah, I enjoyed it." I reply somewhat awkwardly, failing at my attempt of making my reply sound sincere.

"You hated it." Brad says with a smile, easily seeing through my lie. "It's okay. Sports aren't for everyone, I know."

"I'm sorry. But at least I can say the first game I went to we were the winning team. And you really were great out there from what I understand of how football works."

"Thanks. Honestly, I tried my hardest knowing you were watching. I had to make a good impression. Especially for your first game. Think you'll come to another?" He looks at me expectantly and I hesitate, unsure how to answer.

"Um..."

Brad's eyes suddenly lock onto something behind me and the harsh look that suddenly appears in his eyes causes me to turn around. Derek leans casually against the nearby tree as he looks at his phone.

"You're kidding me, right?" Brad asks.

It takes a moment for Derek to look up, probably unsure if Brad is talking to him or not. He looks at Brad and raises his brow. "What?" Derek asks.

"What the hell are you doing out here? Are you not capable of giving us some space for more than five minutes?"

"What are you talking about blondie? I'm just relaxing here."

"Right, because of all the places you could have gone, you come outside to the spot just a few feet away from Arabella."

"I don't know what you're implying," Derek suddenly stands up straight and starts towards us. "But you're starting to piss me off jock. You trying to tell me where I can and can't go at a party, in a house that doesn't even belong to you?"

Brad starts to move around me so he can get to Derek and I quickly move to stand in their path.

"Let's all just calm down." I say. I suddenly become extra aware of the eyes on us and the whispers starting. "Brad, we can go somewhere else." I suggest. "It's not a big deal."

"He'll just follow us there too. Won't you murderer?"

"What did you just say?" Derek growls, and it takes all the courage in me to physically stop Derek's lunge on Brad. Placing both hands on his chest, I push back, and somehow manage to actually stop him.

"Just breathe." I tell him quietly. I look up at him and immediately regret doing so. His glare bores into Brad, the look in his eyes dark, borderline murderous. He presses his lips together as he breaths heavily. A chill runs up my spine and I realize this is my first time seeing him up close when he's having one of his... episodes. Is this how he was that day in the cafeteria, or those times in class when the teacher made him angry? Is this what they were up against? "Derek." I say softly.

Derek's eyes meet mine finally, and my breath hitches as I flinch from the full impact of his murderous gaze. Almost immediately his eyes soften and I feel the tension slowly starting to leave his body. Suddenly realizing my hands are still pressed against his chest, I quickly drop my hands and my cheeks start to warm.