Chapter 8 (Rewritten)

Chapter 8

Friends

*Arabella*

I find myself looking at Derek's empty desk for the third time. It's typical for Derek to be late to class, but not this late. Is he skipping or is he sick? I'm pretty sure he's obligated to come to school whether he wants to or not.

Officer Charles slips into the classroom and leans against the wall. He scans the room and his brows furrow as his eyes land on Derek's empty desk. Clearly he didn't realize Derek would be absent today. Maybe Derek isn't sick after all. I'm sure officer Charles would be notified if he was.

The classes' attention is drawn to the door as Derek walks into the room. His eyes are glued to his phone as he texts someone. He doesn't even notice Officer Charles' skeptical look as he takes his seat.

"Mr. Knight." Mrs. Lewis says. "Nice of you to finally join us."

"Hm." Derek sounds, not really paying her any attention.

"Phone away and paper out, Mr. Knight. Start writing down the notes on the board."

"No, I'm good. I'll just get them later." He doesn't even look Mrs. Lewis' way as he replies.

"Excuse me?" Mrs. Lewis raises her brows. "Phone away. Now." Derek doesn't even acknowledge her. Instead he continues to tap away on his phone. Who could possibly be so important that he has to text them now? Surely they can wait. I'm starting to think he's rebellious just for the fun of it. Which wouldn't surprise me. "You have until the count of three to put your phone away, Mr. Knight." Mrs. Lewis warns as she moves closer to his desk. "1...2..." He still doesn't react to her words. "3."

Like lightning, Mrs. Lewis snatches Derek's phone from his hands and swiftly retreats to her desk where she banishes it to her desk drawer.

"What the fuck?!" Derek exclaims as he jumps up from his desk.

"Derek, sit down." Officer Charles says, taking a step further into the classroom.

"That bitch just took my phone." Derek argues, gesturing to Mrs. Lewis who stands at the front of the room with folded arms.

"Phones are not permitted during class and you know this. Now sit down and be quiet." Derek mumbles something I can't make out as he slowly sits down. "What's that?" Officer Charles asks, challenging Derek.

"I said I got treated better in Juvie." Derek speaks up.

"Yeah well keep this behavior up and you'll be back there soon enough."

As the excitement in room settles Mrs. Lewis goes back to her lesson. Derek still doesn't copy the notes on the board, and I prepare myself for having to give them to him later. Instead, he sits with his arms crossed as he bounces his knee excessively, probably trying to contain his anger. For someone who claims to be a normal guy, the amount of anger he holds greatly surpasses any normal persons.

***

Lunch finally comes around and my empty stomach growls as it cries for food. I meet Jess by her locker and the smell of food from the nearby cafeteria makes my stomach growl louder.

"Hey Ari." Jess greets me as she unloads her history book from her bag and into her locker. "Ready for lunch?"

"Yes. I'm practically starving. Let's go."

As Jess closes her locker, I turn to start heading to the cafeteria, but a tall, muscular figure blocks my path. I look up to see Derek. "Hey Ari." He greets me with a smile. His voice pitched to mimic Jess. "Am I coming to your place again after school?" He asks, his voice back to its normal deep tone.