Chapter 4 (Rewritten)

Chapter 4

Going Nowhere

*Derek*

I lean back on the couch as I glare at Arabella. She tries not to look in my direction as she pulls up her notes on her laptop. She brushes a lock of hair behind her ear and I catch the movement of her throat as she gulps. She's clearly uncomfortable, but she still here. I can't believe Christine invited this girl here. Now she knows where we live and could show up at any time. I don't like being ambushed.

"Derek, we have a guest." Christine says. "It would be polite if you put on a shirt."

"I live here; I don't have to put on a shirt if I don't want to." I explain, never breaking my glare. Besides, if she feels so uncomfortable why doesn't she just leave. "Besides, I'm sure Arabella doesn't mind." Considering she was basically eye raping me earlier she must like the view.

"It's fine, really." She says, her eyes skimming past me as she looks at Christine. "I did kind of show up without warning." She looks at me and looks down briefly before her cheeks turn pink and she looks back at her laptop. I try to keep the smile off my face at her obvious discomfort.

"Are you hungry Arabella?" Christine asks. "I'm starting dinner, but I could whip up a snack."

"No thank you." Arabella replies, flashing Christine a small smile.

"Focus!" I say, snapping my fingers. Arabella snaps her attention back to me, a disgusted look on her face. "I don't have all night." I remind her.

"I am not a dog." She says, narrowing her eyes at me. "Don't snap your fingers at me." It surprises me every time she does that. She acts so shy and timid, but she doesn't bite her tongue to tell someone off. Not even me.

"Derek, could you at least try to be a little nicer?" Christine asks. I sigh as I roll my eyes. "She's here trying to help you and you can't even be a little appreciative?" Every word that comes out her mouth just annoys me more and more. "At least be respectful."

"Shut up, Christine!" I snap. Christine jumps from my outburst and her eyes grow wide with shock. "All you've been doing is bitching at me since this girl got here. You can play the mother role in front of strangers, but we both know that's not the case. So either keep your mouth shut or fuck off."

Christine stands there for a moment in silence, her mouth opening and closing like a fish but no words coming out. Tears fill her eyes and I frown at the dumb look on her face. All she's done is annoy me all day. It's like she's never shut up. Now Arabella comes over and she tries to play mommy. She was never really interested in the role before. Why should she bother with it now?

"Excuse me." Christine says just above a whisper before rushing upstairs. I hear the sound of her door slam closed.

"Finally." I sigh.

"You talk to your mother that way?" Arabella asks, her voice soft. She stares at me a look mixed of sadness and disgust on her face.

"I don't consider her my mother." I reply.

"But-"

"Stay at out of my family drama and stick to what you came here for. Like I said, I don't have all night."

Arabella stares at me for a moment longer before turning back to her laptop. She releases a soft sigh before asking, "How much of Beowulf have you read?"

"None." She looks at me with surprise. "Do I look like someone who reads in their spare time?"

My phone suddenly starts to ring and Arabella jumps slightly at the sound. I keep myself from laughing as I take out my phone and look at the screen. Gavin's number displays at the top. Of all times for him to call. I guess he couldn't wait for me to call him. Not that I was planning to anyway.