Chapter 28 (Vanquished) Part 2

My eyes flashed open when I realized that it wasn't Frank who pulled the trigger. I looked around, expecting a police officer or two, but instead the room was still empty.

"I guess he finished with her faster than I thought he would." Frank said. "Oh well, looks like it's too late for your girl."

My heart seemed to shatter in a million pieces. The one person I've devoted myself to and loved with all my heart, is gone. I couldn't save her, and now she's gone because of me.

"I guess it's time for you to join her."

"Stop!" Arabella yelled. My eyes darted to where she stood on the stairs, a gun in her hands aimed at Frank. "Let him go." she said.

"Why are you still alive?" Frank asked bitterly.

"I... he was...."

Her mind seemed to wander off and I could see the pain on her face. She can't hide it as easily as I can.

"She shot him." I said for her.

"I never thought I'd kill a person, especially with my own two hands." She said.

"It was self defense. The court will look it over. Trust me, I know about these things."

"I'm a murderer." Tears began to stream down her face.

Before I could say anything, the sound of police sirens in the distance stopped me. Finally they're coming. It only took them forever to get here.

"I don't think the police will agree when they see her aiming a gun at me."

Arabella slowly lowered the gun, wincing from the wound in her shoulder. She knelt to place it on the floor, then looked up at me with tear streaked cheeks and an apologetic look.

"This is the police!" Someone said through a megaphone. "We have the place surrounded. Come out with your hands behind your head."

"I guess it's all over now." I said. "There's no place for you to run."

"We'll see." Frank said. "Arabella, pick up that gun and wipe the handle well with your shirt."

"Why?" She asked, glancing at the gun.

"Just do it!" Frank barked.

Arabella slowly knelt to pick up the gun and did as Frank asked. She then looked at him expectantly.

"Now bring it over here." He ordered her. Arabella slowly approached us with the gun. She stopped a few inches in front of me and I wanted to reach out and take her into a tight hug, never letting her go. "Derek, take the gun."

"Is this your plan?" I asked as I reached out to take the gun. "Frame me for Jace's murder? Is that all you're good at?"

"Better you than your little girlfriend, right?"

"Right." I repeated, looking into Arabella's eyes.

I'd take a bullet for her. I'd definitely take the blame for Jace's murder for her. It's hard enough seeing her beat herself up about killing him. He's deserved it.

"Can Arabella leave?" I asked him. "She has nothing to do with this. She's innocent."

"You're right. But she also knows too much. She's seen my face, knows my business and my name."

"I won't tell anyone." Arabella quickly said. "It'll be like I was never here. Just please let us go."

"I never said I was letting Derek go. We still have unfinished business. But you... every time you look at that bullet scar on your shoulder, remember that I'm out there waiting for you to slip up. Slowly go to the entrance and leave. Make sure you shut the door behind you."