Chapter 5 (Rewritten)

Chapter 5

Party

*Derek*

After my talk with Gavin, I leave and find a couple of the guys now lounging in front of the TV. Jace one of them. I head over and greet the guys before plopping down on the couch beside Jace and snatching the Xbox controller from him. If I were to leave, I wouldn't be able to hang out with these guys anymore.

"Were you in there this entire time?" Jace asks.

"Yeah. There was a lot to catch up on and discuss." I shrug. "I start again in a couple days." My eyes train onto my character on the screen. God I've missed videogames. "He wants you to work me back in so I can refresh my memory."

"Damn, I hate babysitting duty." He complains.

"I'd have to be a baby for you to be babysitting." I pause the game and take Jace into a headlock, gripping tightly so he can't free himself. "Idiot." He squirms beneath my grip as he tries to get free.

"Okay, okay." He chokes out. "Uncle!" He taps my arm and I release him. He coughs before glaring at me and giving me a hard shove, causing me to fall on the floor and hit my shoulder on the TV stand. A throbbing sensation courses through my shoulder as the TV begins to rock back and forth, no wall behind it to help it stabilize. Slim catches and stabilizes the TV onto the stand, glaring at Jace and me in the process.

"When in the same room, you two act like children." Slim says, not trying to mask the annoyance he feels. "It's great to have you back Derek, but could you two hold off on acting like idiots for a little while?"

Slim returns to his post at the entrance and I return to my seat on the couch. Jace gives me one last jab in my side with his elbow as he starts the game again.

"I heard something about a party tomorrow night." Jace says, keeping his eyes trained on the screen.

"You're not even in school anymore, Jace." I say. "How do you hear about these parties?"

"I know a lot of people." He shrugs. "Anyway, I'm going. Want to come?"

"I'm not really interested, but I'll go to stay away from Christine."

"She still giving you trouble?" He jerks the controller as he decapitates his enemy's head.

"Lately she's been trying to play match maker. She thinks she's found the perfect girl for me, but she fails to realize that I don't care about any of that love crap. She fell in love once and look what happened with that."

"Who's the girl? Is she cute at least?"

"Whether she's cute or not, I'm not interested."

"Is she my type?"

I frown at him and his lack of standards. He doesn't even know what Arabella looks like, let alone her personality.

"Not even close." I reply.

"Doesn't matter." He shrugs. "Introduce me and I will gladly rock her world."

"You're disgusting." I frown. "She doesn't seem like the easy type. She actually respects herself unlike the girls you're used to. You'd be wasting your time. Don't bother."

"Whatever. They're all the same. Besides, nobody can resist this." He gestures to himself and I burst into laughter.

"Talk yourself up all you want, but you're still ugly either way."

"You're just jealous that I look this good."

"Whatever makes you feel better."

***