Chapter 13 (Rewritten)

Chapter 13

Choices

*Arabella*

Derek looks at me expectantly and I bite my lip nervously as I stare back. When I agreed to be Derek's tutor, I never expected to end up here. I was ready to ignore how attractive he is and simply survive tutoring him for as long as possible. I didn't expect to ever feel comfortable around him, trust him, learn to understand him, learn his humor, learn him. And there's still so much more I want to learn about him.

To anyone else I'd be insane. It's stupid to choose the town's pariah over the beloved star athlete. But to me Derek isn't a pariah. He's a person with what I can only assume is a difficult past. He's improved greatly in his temper, manners, and surprisingly his grades. He's more than just the label society has given him, and I want everyone to see that.

"I hate to hurt Brad's feelings, but I guess it can't be avoided." I shrug.

Derek smiles so large it reaches his ears. It's the largest I've seen him smile since we met and I stare at it, trying to permanently etch the beautiful sight into my memory.

"Fuck Brad." Derek says a little too loudly. "He doesn't deserve you anyway."

"He was actually quite nice considering the rumors. I've just never been into him that way though. I have to figure out what to tell him."

"Don't tell him anything." Derek shrugs. "One date doesn't mean anything. Besides he should be able to figure it out on his own."

"I have to tell him something. It's the right thing to do."

"Do whatever you want. You chose me, and that's all that matters." He takes my hand in his and though this low level of intimacy is new to me, it feels normal. Comfortable even.

"Want me to talk to him for you?" He asks.

"I'd rather keep things civil but thank you."

"I can be civil." I raise my brows. "I can be very civil. Watch, I'll show you."

*Derek*

I wake to my alarm and can barely move to turn it off. My head is killing me from the cut above my brow and my side hurts from where I was kicked. Gavin really didn't have to go to this extent to remind me never to accuse him of being a narc. In the past he's never reprimanded me for my mouth before. Why was this time so different?

I reach over to turn off my alarm and pain shoots up my side. "Shit." I mumble to myself. How am I supposed to make it into school when I can't even get out of bed? I'm still surprised I managed to sneak in last night without being too loud, considering my body hurt with every movement.

I take a deep breath and with one swift movement and a loud grunt I sit up and swing my legs over the side of the bed. I grimace as I reach over and turn off my alarm. I sit at the edge of my bed for a moment, waiting for the pain to mostly subside.

I can't go into school like this. Charles would be suspicious and as usual I don't feel like answering any questions he may have. He wouldn't stop until he finds the culprit. Not to mention Arabella would probably be concerned seeing me in worse shape than I was last night.

I pull myself out of bed and attempt to get ready. I find some pain killers in the bathroom cabinet and quickly take some, hoping it would work fast and kill the pain. I examine the cuts and bruises on my face and frown. They look worse today than they did last night.

I dress slowly trying to keep the pain at a minimum. I grab something quick for breakfast before heading to school. I arrive to school just as my pain killers kick in. Thankfully because the reporters waiting outside the school show no mercy as they shove microphones in my face. I nearly fall off my bike as my vision is blocked.