Chapter 18 (Watched)

Chapter 18

Watched

Arabella's P.O.V*

I gripped the letter tightly and looked at my family and the officers around the room. Who ever wrote this could be anyone in this room.

"What did it say?" My dad asked me.

"Nothing." I replied. "It was just an old note that got lost in my room."

"It looked pretty fresh to me." Charles said. "Are you hiding something?"

"No." I answered too quickly. "I'm not hiding anything."

"That letter is evidence." Charles said. "We need to take it in and check for prints."

"No, this was written to me. It's mine."

I noticed all eyes n the room were on me and I began feeling scared and paranoid. I can't trust anyone in this room, not even my parents.

"I have to go." I said, quickly walking past everyone and out the door.

I hopped in my car and drove to Jess's house. I should be skeptical about her too, but I know that it could never be her. She may not like all of the things going on with Derek, but she still accepts that we're together. Whoever wrote this letter doesn't.

I got to Jess's house and went to ring the doorbell. A moment passed and the door opened revealing Jess wearing sweats and a tank top.

"Hey, come in." She said, moving aside.

I walked in and she closed the door behind me. She gave me a weird look as she looked at the enveloped I'm holding.

"Are you okay?" She asked. "You look like a crazy person."

"Where are your parents?" I asked her.

"They're not home from work yet. What's going on?"

She gave me a worried look. Can I show Jess the letter? Technically we're alone, but then again who knows if this mystery person has spy gear that allows them to hear through walls.

"Someone broke into my house today." I told her.

"Oh my gosh did anyone get hurt? What did they take?"

"No one was home when it happened. And as far as I know, they didn't take anything. But they did leave something." I held up the envelope with my name facing her.

"A letter? What does it say?"

"I can't tell you. That's why I'm freaking out. I need to tell someone but I can't."

"Why not? Who wrote it?"

"I don't know. There's no name."

"Can you give me a brief description of what it's about? You wouldn't be telling me exactly what it says."

"No I can't."

Jess furrowed her brows and tapped her chin in thought. I thought I would be able to tell Jess what the letter says, but I'm too afraid to risk it.

"Does it have something to do with Derek or the murders?"

I guess that question wouldn't really lead me to tell her what the letter exactly says.

"Yes." I answered.

"I'm not surprised." She said, shaking her head. "Derek is getting you caught up in his mess. Arabella, you're too good for him. Let him go. Don't let him sink you along with him. Who ever broke into your house knows that you're dating Derek and I'm pretty sure they wanted to send a message, and they did that literally. You should break up with him. At least until all of this investigation crap goes away."