Chapter 17 (Turn of Events)

Chapter 17

Turn of Events

Derek’s P.O.V*

I walked into the police station with my heart practically beating out of my chest. I know this is what I should do, but I’m not sure what will happen. Will I be sent back to jail because I violated my probation?

I walked up to the front desk and got the attention of the officer. When he looked at me, shock crossed his face.

“I’m here to turn myself in.” I told him.

The officer came around and placed cuffs on my wrists. He lead me over to a chair and had me sit down.

“I’m calling Charlie to tell him you’re here. The whole city has been searching for you.”

After about an hour, Charles came walking through the door. He looked at me and smiled.

“Finally we’ve found you.” He said.

“Actually I turned myself in.” I pointed out.

“Follow me.”

I stood up and followed Charles through a door and down a hallway. We ended up in a questioning room. I took my usual seat across from Charles.

“So where’ve you been?” He asked me.

“Here and there.” I answered casually.

“Right. So why are you turning yourself in?”

“Because I’m tired of hiding.”

“Let’s talk about the murders.”
I leaned back in my chair and relaxed. Charles opened the yellow folder that had been sitting in front of him. He pushed two pictures across the table and let me look at them. In one there was an unfamiliar man with a bullet wound in his head. The other man was one I recognized. Mr. Walters, the man I sold drugs to not long ago. This proves it has to be someone on Gavin’s side.

“Do you know either of these men?” Charles asked me.

“I’ve never seen them before in my life.” I said with a straight face.

“Look Derek, I want to believe you. You’ve been keeping to your probation, mostly. And you’ve been staying home or spending your time with Arabella which means you’re trying to stay out of trouble. But your prints are showing up at these crime scenes. Your prints are on the guns and there’s no explanation for that. I let you off the first time, but I don’t think I can do it again.”

This isn’t how I expected it to go. I thought that I could get someone to vouch for me then. I guess I’m going to jail for the 25 to life.

“Would you like to tell me how your prints got on the guns?”

“How the hell should I know? If I’m being framed, whoever it is could have found my finger prints on something and put it on the guns. All I know is, I’m innocent.”

“And I want to believe you.”

“But you don’t.”

“The evidence is there and I have to use it.”

Charles read me my rights as he lead me to a jail cell. He took the cuffs off me and locked the metal door once I was inside. Charles gave me an apologetic look before walking away. I sighed and sat on the hard bed in the cell. I guess I’d better prepare to say goodbye to Arabella.

Arabella’s P.O.V*

I wonder if Derek really turned himself in today. If he did, I hope it goes the way he planned and he’s released. I don’t want to lose Derek, especially to something that he didn’t do.