Chapter 9 (Rewritten)

Chapter 9

Feelings

*Derek*

I enter the hideout and look at the truck the guys are loading up with guns. Apparently while I was away, Gavin dove into more than just selling drugs. He's now also selling firearms through the black market. Apparently, it's doing just as well if not better than his drug market.

"Oh, look who decided to show up." Jace says when he sees me. "I was starting to think you turned your back on us."

"I've just been busy." I shrug. "What, did you miss me?"

Jace suddenly grabs me in a headlock and starts to mess up my hair. "Like I'd ever miss a pain in the ass like you." He says. "I thought Gavin was gonna send me after you."

"And if he had?" I manage to ask as I try to break his grip.

"I would've taken you down without hesitating." He replies, tightening his grip.

"Really? I think I could take you." I manage to punch him in the stomach, and he releases me as he stumbles back a few steps from the blow. "That was a low blow." He almost wheezes out. "Literally."

"It's what you get for gripping so hard." I run my fingers through my hair to fix the mess Jace caused.

"Would you two cut it out and get to work?" One of the guys says. "I swear you two can't be in the same room for more than a couple seconds without messing around."

"Alright, alright." Jace says. "Relax. We're getting to it. Think fast Derek." Jace picks up a 9mm handgun and tosses it to me. I reflexively catch it and immediately curse under my breath as I realize I haven't put on gloves yet.

"Jace, you idiot! I'm not wearing gloves."

"Oh shit, sorry." He quickly apologizes as he takes it from me and starts to wipe my prints off with his t-shirt. "I'll wipe it down while you get some gloves." I let Jace fix his mistake while I grab a pair of gloves. Jace is my best friend, but I swear the guy operates on half a brain most of the time.

My phone rings and I pull it from my pocket to see Arabella's number on the screen. Of all the times to call me. No one seems to be able to contact me when I'm in the right position to answer.

"Who's that?" Jace asks. "I didn't think anyone called you except Gavin and me."

"Shh." I say to Jace. "What?" I answer the phone.

"Well hello to you too." She says sarcastically. "I just wanted to know if you wanted help working on your paper tonight. I couldn't find you after school today to ask. Also, I heard your history grade already needs work. I could help you study."

"You're really calling me about schoolwork right now?"

"Um, what else would I call you for? So, do you want help?"

I look around at the boxes of guns we still have to look through and load up. We're not even close to halfway finished. We still have hours of this left. "Can't we do it tomorrow? I'm kind of busy right now."

"Oh, okay. Well we can't do it tomorrow because I'm going out tomorrow."

"You're going out? Where?"

"Well, there's a football game at school tomorrow. Then some kind of after party."

"A party?" I look at Jace and his eyes light up. "Where?"