Chapter 23 (Secrets)

Chapter 23

Secrets

Arabella's P.O.V*

I'm trying not to worry but Derek's been gone for a while. The fact that he was in a rush makes me thing that something happened. And I know that he's still mixed up with the wrong people, what if they did something to him? I tried calling him for the fourth time and like before, it rang until it went to his voicemail.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. Where is he? If either of us didn't always find ourselves in some type of trouble, I wouldn't have to worry. I hate thinking of the worse, but what if he's somewhere hurt? What if he's dead somewhere?

The front door opened and I looked, hoping it was Derek. He stumbled through the door holding his side. I rushed over to him and tried to steady him.

"What happened?" I asked. "Who did this to you?"

I examined the bloody cut above us right temple, and his busted lip. His arms were bruised and I'm sure the rest of him looks worse. I led him to the couch and he sat down, leaning back.

"Tell me." I said, sitting beside him.

"It's nothing." He said, closing his eyes. "Don't worry about it."

"You can't tell me this is nothing. Don't close your eyes, you could have a concussion."

"I'm fine." He forced a smile.

"Please don't lie to me." I pleaded. "Who did this to you? Should I call the police so you can report them?"

"No." He said quickly. "I'm not going to press charges."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't need to."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that this isn't serious. Don't worry about it."

He looked at me and gave me a crooked smile. He placed a light kiss on my forehead.

"I'm going to go take a nap." He said, standing up and walking upstairs.

He can't possibly think he can keep this from me? Does he think I'm stupid and I don't know about the bad business he's still in? I called Jess, feeling slightly annoyed by Derek. I need to vent to someone.

"Hey girlie." She answered. "I haven't heard from you in a while. How is it living with Derek?"

"I don't know. He just got in and was beat up pretty badly, but he won't tell me what happened."

"You don't think he's in trouble do you?"

"When isn't he in trouble?"

"Good point. Maybe he's just trying to protect you?"

"Okay, but from who?"

"Who knows? I'm sure he has a lot of enemies."

Maybe he has a lot of enemies, but I won't be aware of them if he doesn't talk about them.

"I think he should tell me about those enemies so I know who they are and who to look out for."

"Maybe, but we all know Derek is a complicated person. He's in love with you, I'm sure he'll tell you sooner or later."

"Hopefully it's sooner."

~*~

A couple of hours passed before Derek came back downstairs. He didn't seem to be doing any better. In fact he seemed to be doing worse. But I didn't say anything because I know it'll get me nowhere.